The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the following light fixture and I would like to know if there is a bulb that will provide more light that can fit in the same fixture.

I am only trying to grow anacharis to help filter bad stuff out the water but this will not even grow in this light.

it has the following light fixture.

Light Fixture: (Space for only one light tube)
Aquarium Equipment Model: 30RFH
Rated 120V AC. 60Hz, 20W

Fluorescent Starter:
FS-22 Starter (974c)
4...22W

Question 2
I'm thinking about retro fitting the light with different bulbs but i'm not sure if i want to go with screw in bulbs from walmart or with t5 bulbs. Which would you suggest?

Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know of a site where I could get a kit for cheap?

I know they are fairly cheap as it is but I'm on a very tight budget.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you are not going to use CO2, and don't want to grow plants that require more light, I wouldn't even consider T5 fixtures. A single AH Supply 55 watt light kit, at about $45 would give you more than enough light for what you seem to want to grow. Even with that you might find that CO2 is necessary to avoid some algae problems.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Short term, low budget, add another strip light from a garage sale, thrift shop, Craig's list, FreeCycle, etc.
My preference in a cheap strip light would be one with incandescent sockets so you can install a couple of spiral compact bulbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts