The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking a 3 plus year hiatus from the hobby I am back. I have finally gotten into a trucking job that will allow me to home enough to take care of an aquarium. So far I have the hard scape completed and am now planning what plants to get. Due to my job I am only home twice a week so I am definitely going to have to put plants in that require little maintenance. I know I want to put in some crypt wendtii red, Anubias nana , maybe some jungle vail in the background behind the rocks. I am open to suggestions just keep it low maintenance. I am still in the process of getting the starting equipment but here is a list of what I have up and running so far.

Finnex planted + 24/7

Fluval 306 canister filter

Fluval stratum for sub strait.
Aquarium decor Rock Freshwater aquarium Transparent material Fish supply

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I decided to move the tank from the office to the living room, yeah big mistake. It destroyed the aquascape and I had to redo it. I got a few plants in today so here are some updated pics.

1 pod Bucephalandra Green

1 Hygrophila Corymbosa " small "

1 Crypt Beckettii

2 Microsorium Pteropus

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you I am excited two. I purposely chose plants that will fill in around the rocks quite nicely but not get so big that they completely cover the rocks. I think that look is more natural. I am definitely not done with the plants for sure. I am looking into some type of floor cover plant for the right side of the aquarium and some type of red plant for the background of the left side next to the stream. My issue with finding a good hearty floor covering plant is I don't have CO2 and wont for awhile if ever. As I said earlier I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well got my next set of plants in today and have some fish in the tank now. I will do the planting tomorrow. After working almost 70 hours since Sunday and driving 2200 plus miles this week I am too tired to plant everything tonight. Will get some pics up once everything is in and the tank clears up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the suggestion GouramiVillage. I already had a carpet plant ready to go but after putting it in I am not sure if I like it or not. I will give it a couple months to see how it goes. I am also thinking of putting Riccia on parts of the rocks later. So everything is in and the aquarium is done for now. I was very pleased with the plants I ordered from Planted Aquarium Central. All of them were in good condition when they arrived. I actually had to cut down the Crypt because it was massive and way to big for where I wanted to put it. I am used to buying plants from my LFS and you don't get very much so that was what I was expecting from this order. Much to my surprise every plant was almost fully grown and they gave me more then I needed. So enough babbling from me here is an updated list and some pics.

Finnex planted+ 24/7

Fluval 306 canister filter

Via Aqua 150w heater

Fluval shrimp stratum

Local person's trace elements mix

Flourish Exel

Stock list:

Koi Swordtail 5 Female and 1 male

Bucephalandra Green

Hygrophila Corymbosa " small "

Crypt Beckettii

Microsorium Pteropus

Ludwigia Glandulosa

Micranthemum Tweedie "monte carlo"

Pigmy Chain Sword

Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the suggestion. My wife is the one that takes care of the daily tank maintenance. We will be investing in a co2 system in a couple months though, but no DIY setup. My wife is putting up with it for now, but doesn't want to continue doing it for a long time so I need to make sure the tank is as automated as possible. My plan is to get an aquarium controller for a reef tank and get things set up to be a really low maintenance tank.

This is my first time dealing with a carpet plant so some advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was curious rather or not it was planted in the best manner. I only had a few minutes to do some research and I saw them planted like I did it and the way you suggested. I just decided to take the easy way out and attach them to rocks. I really don't like the way it looks so I think I will replant them the way you suggest. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well got the ok to order the Co2 system from my wife so it will be on its way soon. Ordered a 5lbs bottle, regulator, line, and other things needed to install it. I am going to make an inline reactor for it out of pvc and some of my bio balls I have leftover from an old tank. I also ordered some uniseals so I can make an inline heater setup to. I want to get as much of the equipment out of the main display as possible. Looks like I will be busy again with the aquarium in a couple weeks. Once I get it all set up I will have to take some pics of all the gear in the aquarium stand.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I lost one of the fish today and I noticed some melting on a lot of the plants. Looks like the Crypt is coming back though. I also started replanting the Monte Carlo the way that was suggested by another user. I really like it this way much better than the way I had it.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well got home tonight to find another fish had died today and more plant melt. I know there is a period of adjustment for the aquarium inhabitants when introducing them into a new environment so I am hoping that everything comes back eventually. I should get the Co2 system next week sometime and I know that will help thing progress dramatically. I am hoping to have enough time tomorrow to finish the replanting of the Monte Carlo. If I do then I will post some pics.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright so I got a wild hair up my but and redid the aquarium. I got rid of the montie carlo and the Bucephalandra Green died. The Ludwigia Glandulosa has been dropping leaves like mad but also growing them just as fast. Is this type of behavior normal? I also decided to take my fish back to the store. They were showing a lot of aggression toward each other and I don't want that happening in my aquarium. So here is a new pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes I had swordtails. There were two males and 4 females. It was primarily one male and a two females that were being aggressive and after losing two of the other females I decided it would be best to take them back. I don't want to have a stressful situation going on for the fish due to the small aquarium size. After seeing an adult swordtail in the store they would have really limited my choice of fish so it all worked in the end.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So a bit of a big update because a lot has gone down since the last update. When I redid the aquascape I did a bad thing and let some of the plants dry out a little. I just got caught up in what I was doing. I lost almost half of my purple Ludwigia and did some damage to some of the other plants. On a good note everything seems to be bouncing back and I am glad. I had to trim back a lot of the plants and it shows in the picture I am posting now.

On other news I decided to get another light, Aquabeam 600 from my LFS. I am using it in conjunction with my Finnex planted +. I have also added a bunch of plants and will be getting more soon. I am getting a wavemaker and diffuser also. I am on my lunch break and so I don't have time to get into the specifics of the plants. That will have to wait until this weekend. Here is an updated pic sorry about the haze in the aquarium I just did a water change and dosed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well I got in the last of the plants and she is done. I will now let the plants grow out and propagate them to make everything fill out. I plant on putting some pigmy chain sword on the right side of the tank like it is on the left once the plant send out shoots. I am happy with the way everything turned out. Trust me it had some issues in the last two weeks I am still dealing with. I can't seem to get the nitrate down past 20ppm. I have also been dealing with some algae on the glass. I am messing with the light cycles and increased the plant load to hopefully help these issues, but only time will tell. I am going to wait to post update pics for at least a couple weeks as there are a lot of pics in here already. So a final list of plants with pics is below.

Cryptocryne Parva , Cryptocryne Bronze Wendtii, Christmas moss, Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan, Pigmy Chain Sword, Ludwigia Glandulosa, Anubias Nana, Anubias Nana Petite, Anubias Coffeefolia, Tropical Water Fern, and Echinodorus Ozelot.

I am wanting to try out several different plants to see what works for me. This is the main reason I chose several different verities. I feel it looks more natural when you have several different types of plants in a scape. All of aquarium peramiters are good with the acception of my Nitrate.

PH = 6.2

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 20

KH = 4

GH = 5

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here's an updated pic for everyone. I've added some tetra fish and some cherry shrimp. As you can see a lot of the plants are starting to fill out.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I-dos macros and micros, iron, and potassium. I also am excited to see how this tank turns out once it grows in. I can't wait until the background plants get some height to them. They're all looking really good but they're short LOL

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well unfortunately my semi truck broke down over the weekend so I was only home for about an hour. Here's some pics I took while I was there.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts