The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
So I got a 29 gallon tank for Christmas, I think its the tetra care model. Dimensions:30 inches long, 18.5 inches high, 12 inches wide
Currently it does have a hood, and i am pretty happy with it but i don't feel its providing enough light.

The current hood has a fluorescent light fixture that sits on a glass panel, about 24 inches long i think.

The reflector hood says 30 RFH
Rated 120 vac, 60 Hz, 20 w

The current bulb is a : Marineland Natural daylight F18T8

Im thinking of upgrading my lighting i dont know if this is bright enough.

I found a 24 inch t5 light fixture online that i was thinking of buying, but its for marine use, i was wondering if this would fit into my current hood,
I dont know if im allowed to post links to products on this forum:confused: so i didn't

All ideas are welcome

Thanks for taking the time for reading my post.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is your water temperature with those lights on?
i would need co2 with that much light correct?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I recently upgraded my 29gallon tank, and bought a "1 x 55 watt Bright Kit" from AH Supply. You can retrofit it into your existing light fixture. It comes with all the hardware you will need and the only difference is the ballast has to be mounted on the outside of the fixture... Which you cant see unless your behind the aquarium. Going from my 20watt bulb (probably the same thing you have) to the new bulb & reflector makes a huuuge difference.

I should have cleaned up a little before taking the pic :angel:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
An AH Supply retro kit is the fastest upgrade you can do and keep your hood. It is also the most economical in the short run. In the longer run, replacement PC bulbs cost more than T5. Bulb fanatics will tell you PC bulbs are good for a year. That's great for peoplel raising plants for sale or high tech hobbyists. Reality is you'll probably want to replace the bulb once a year. In a couple of years if you are still into planted tanks and plants, you'll probably want to replace the hood with a nice T5 setup.
The AH Supply reflector can be screwed to the existing supports for the white plastic in the strip light you have.

http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

You will want the 1 x 55 Bright kit at $44.99
Order a bulb too. Purchasing a bulb separately will cost too much.

·
Banned
205 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I would not go with aquatraders due to them being cheap and crappy. If I were in your situation, I would buy the 1x 55w or the the coralife strip t-5 mentioned above. i have a 29 gallon also and i have a current 65w model. Only problem with it is that plants lean torward the light fixture and it is not birght enough to grow Hc or glosso. If you are gonna get co2 pressurized- i would go with a 130w model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts