The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a 55 watt power compact be enough to grow anything in a 29 gallon. The plants I have planned on growing are Ludwiga Inclinata, Ludwiga Glandulosa, LIMOPHILA AROMATICA, Alternanthera Reineckii "Rosaefolia", and maybe some other red plants and a few sword varieties. I can get this for around $80 dollars, is there something better, for a better price? thanks

Here is the link for the 30'' power compact

I have a fluorite substrate, flourish fert, and no co2 system... sorta a newby.
I'm only 14 but I know a decent amount... Thanks

I know he might not appreciate it, but I am basing my tank off of Bigstick120's 29 Gallon, it is amazing and he only uses a 65 watt as well, but if that will not work, I am open to recomendations on the lighting needs :proud:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Welcome CM your first post...and holy crap....this is my 2500th???? MAN I need to get help !!! lol

Anyway, a lot depends on ....do you have CO2? Do you dose ferts? IMO that lighting is low tech so on a pure lighting answer, I don't think it is enough for many of the plants you listed to flourish. What substrate do you use?....so many parameters. If you are talking strickly light, I don't think it is enough.

Hey I see you are in Franklin Lakes.... stop by www.njagc.net and sign up. Though I am a Manhattanite, we have started quite a nice little plant club that I highly recommend you join~

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a flourite substrat, flourish fert, and no co2 system... sorta a newby.
I'm only 14 but I know a decent amount... Thanks

I know he might not appreciate it, but I am basing my tank off of this guys amazing work He has a 55 watt as well, but if that will not work, I am open to recomendations :proud:

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whenever I post it doesn't submit.... Hmmmmm..... Only when they are large posts too. I just typed a long reply to your comment and it does not show up.... O and congrats on the 2500 ;)

I just tried again and it didnt post.... I am going to edit it into my first post

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a flourite substrat, flourish fert, and no co2 system... sorta a newby.
I'm only 14 but I know a decent amount...

I know he might not appreciate it, but I am basing my tank off of this guys amazing work He has a 55 watt as well, but if that will not work, I am open to recomendations :proud:

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need something in the 2-3 wpg range, because anything over that and I need a CO2 system, which seems a bit over-the-top for me. I'm only 14, I don't have that kind of money or time, lol :icon_lol:

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Cm, read the Low tech section of this forum about plants you can enjoy under 2wpg with no Co2.
A lot of what you plan in your first post is a flawed combination IMHO, and should not be attempted.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/

for $80 you might be able to get a cheap brand, or reconditioned 110w or 130w fixture.
but you'd need more money for fertilizers, DIY Co2, and plant appropriate gravel, so don't bother.

Here is a $70 65w fixture that includes a white LED to see your tank at night.
30" Satellite 1x65W SunPaq w/Lunar Light (Current)
you don't need one of those plastic canopys, just a good fixture like this.
If you need to cover the tank later, you can always buy a cheap glass cover.
30" x 12" Glass Canopy (Perfecto)

for 55-65w only, select "Low" under lighting requirements, and click [Go]
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/index.php
some of the plants under "Medium" light may work as long as it's direct light, not shaded by other plants.
try to avoid large leaf plants like most swords that will block the light of other plants as they grow.
try a variety of Anubias, Cryptocoryne and Microsorum instead, which may be harder and slower to grow,
but much more rewarding with their colors textures and growth characteristics.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do I need a whole pressurized CO2 system, or could I use a CO2 supplement like Flourish and a 2.5 WPG light... Bigstick did it with 2.24 WPG, but he has a CO2 system. And is making a CO2 sytem really that hard, could I buy it pre-assembled, and how much would it cost?

I have Fluorite as my substrate

All of my goal plants are under medium, I think, or at least the ones I really care about like Rosaefolia, Limnophila aromatica, and ludwiga inclinata "cuba". I did not check Ludwiga Gandulosa.

Would a CO2 supplement like Flourish do anything at all?

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"for 55-65w only, select "Low" under lighting requirements, and click [Go]
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...nder/index.php
some of the plants under "Medium" light may work as long as it's direct light, not shaded by other plants."

But will I need any CO2 besides a liquid Supplement?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
pressurized Co2 systems run $200-$300 so you should use DIY Co2 which is not free either.
even if you make the bottle yourself and use an air-stone as diffuser,
your annual costs will still run $50 when you add sugar & yeast.

ludwigia inclinata cuba will NOT do well in a low light low Co2 tank.
all the other plants you've listed should do OK. they color best
if you keep your your nitrates and phosphates under 10ppm.

If you have Fluorite as a substrate, you are off to a great start.

yes, you need DIY Co2 not just for the plants, but so the plants
out compete potential algae for nutrients. without Co2 you may
have more algae problems with >2.0wpg over your tank.
so Co2 is not just needed because you may like "medium" light plants,
but because the 65w of light will grow algae unless you are careful.

best advice especially since you are on a tight budget is to read more,
consider that many of your questions have already been answered here,
on various other threads, but if something is still unclear, feel free to ask.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a bunch, I'll check The "Cuba" off my list as a no-no, and read all about the CO2. Are the DIY CO2 systems difficult?

Just in-case, I'm going to go through all of the plants again and get an approval for a 55 to 65 watt light, Supplemented CO2, Fluorite Substrate, 29 Gallon tank; and some more knowledge about CO2.

Here they are: Limnophila Aromatica - Ludwiga Glandulosa - Rosaefolia - Beckettii - and maybe an Amazon Sword, unless it starts blocking/shading light - Maybe some weeds or grasses like Micro Sword, Crystalwort, or Christmas moss.

Some recommendations on good ground covering weeds/mosses would be nice, thanks.
:icon_bigg :icon_bigg :proud: :proud:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.