The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I dont have a picture of the algae but there are spots on the glass and the gravel seems to have the beginning of a green algae layer building, doesn't look stringy... plants seem to have dirty leaves now too. I do dose Excel Flourish every other day, and Aquoen's Plant Food every friday as directed. I have a 2 Liter DIY CO2. Im running 2 x 24w Coralife T5HO.... 1 bulb 10000k and the other acinic(spelling). This is a taller aquarium tank.

I will attach a pic of my tank pre algae lol. I have several anacharis, 3 or 4 dwarf hairgrass bunches, 1 sword, 1 microsword, 1 java fern. Inhabitants are 4 mollies, and 1 Fry. Water is currently around 80 degrees and ph level is between 7.6 and 7.8. Substrate is a blend between black gravel, and Activ-Flora. I need to figure this out and get my tank back on the right track.... tonight its due for water change and cleaning.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have seen over the years that actinic bulbs just add buld the the water for freshwater. Does nothing for the plants if not slow the growth. Algea will eat off blue light in freshwater & also to much light. Also it could be from lighting coming for 2 different places at the same time. It is best not to have the light on over the tank when lighting is coming in from a window. Over all here is a web site that may be able to help you. http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Judging by your pH level you probably have very little CO2 in the water. I would suggest working on your CO2 levels and distribution. With that amount of light (especially if you switch out the actinic bulb) you may not be able to get stable enough CO2 levels into the tank using DIY.

You should also look into dosing dry ferts I doubt that you are adding enough ferts dosing a commercial mix once a week and Flourish every other day. Flourish is a good source of traces but you need more macros available to the plants. Green spots on the glass can be a sign of low phosphates and the green algae on the gravel sounds like BGA (cyanobacteria) which can be caused by low Nitrate levels. Is the algae on the gravel slimy and does it smell bad?

Having too much light and not enough nutrients and CO2 will stunt your plants leaving them vulnerable to algae. Having sunlight hitting the tank can't be helping either. How long has the tank been running and how long do you leave your lights on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I performed a water change and got a lot of the crud out on Friday. However I noticed Sunday the water started not to be as crystal clear as I would like it. I believe my water from the tap has a ph of 8.0 or 7.9... Also it seems like the standard dosing of Flourish Excel is starting to damage my anarcharis.

I guess tonight I will pick up a different bulb in place of the blue actinic.. Recommendations? 10k or 6k? The sun filtering in the window is minamal, the background is actually a mirror so no light actually hits the water excluding the very corner from the other side of the window (south facing window). Could this actually be a problem involving too little light?

The water from my water change was nearly black.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts