The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
beautiful, would look cool with some floaters, or a branchy piece of manzanita coming out of the plants.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey I would like to know what is on the top of your tank under the light...I Need something like that because of a....cat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
White eggcrate is on top. I cut it down with a hacksaw and made an opening in the center for the light fixture.

·
Registered
277 Posts
nice additions and update!

as i mentioned earlier, you have inspired me to get some planted in the substrate. got some small ones from petsmart (ie not petites) and the trick has been to keep them planted while not burying the rhizome.....seems overnight they become floaters :eek5:

i'm on to your sinker approach, lol...

educational thread, thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Have you find more anubias petite to add in? if so , update please :D
Yes i have about 27 seperate anubias petite rhizomes in the foreground. Last time i had about 14 in the first video. I still plan to get maybe 10 more or so at a later time. Since the last update i added more golden anubias nana and more java fern.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Picture please!! I'm very interested and i've been showing my local club yours as many of them are new and love to have a low maintain tank
!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
how do you keep them algae free?? my anubias is full of green spot algae and black spots too...
I do water changes twice a week. While doing water changes i scrape with my fingernails the leaves softly to remove any visible algae. It rarely shows up since i have good flow in the system. The petites are the hardest to keep algae free. Removing the algae on them takes a lot longer due to such small leaves. I am glad i found a dosing schedule that has allowed plants to flourish well and stay lush. It took many combinations to see what worked best with the system.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks for the update! Hope to see it filled in soon. i tried to google quickly and couldn't find such unique idea of using anubias! what your dosing routine like now?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks for the update! Hope to see it filled in soon. i tried to google quickly and couldn't find such unique idea of using anubias! what your dosing routine like now?
I dose microbe life bloom and grow and flourish excel the day of water changes. After that i add excel every other day. Flourish trace and comprehensive done twice a week the day after a water change, Flourish iron done once a week, Flourish Potassium twice a week, Flourish Nitrogen once a week, flourish phosphorus once a week. I slightly adjust what gets done less and more every week tampering with different combinations. But that usually would describe the dosing regime. I am currently looking forward to get a thick carpet of petites. Might buy a few more to help speed the process.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts