The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey everyone i just wanted to show you my tank so u could let me know what to add or do diff to it.

okay after looking on liveaquaria.com i made a list of fish that i think would fit in the tank and work great with it. lets see what you all think:

sparkling gourami
marble hatchet fish
yo yo loach
chilli rasbora
Peacock Gudgeon
blue rams (have and will remain, its just one male right now soon to be a female for him)
oto cats( have 3, plan on 5)
Harlequin Rasbora
Threadfin Rainbow
Praecox Rainbow

cherry shrimp( there in tank but willing to move)

thanks for looking:sleep:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had to edit this and just make a few comments, I've seen your tank posted on APC also. I will make some comments. These comments will be in particular to what (plants, hardscape) you currently have in your tank and what I think you should do with them. I will be blunt, I'm not an "expert aquascaper" or anything.

I'm kind having a real hard time distinguishing what you are intending to do to maximize your visual depth. There's too much sticking up in random places and w/ out the plants in the back grown in, it's hard to see some things.

Background
1. move the plant directly behind the big rock in the back left corner and move the arcuata to the right in that blank area.
2. that aromatic should fill in the back right corner.
3. not sure if the rotala should stay or move slightly to the left behind the rock.
4. too many stems can be distracting but you may pull it off.

Midground
1. That huge anubias have got to go (doesn't fit the scape) I'm pretty much dead serious about that.
2. the windelov fern is out of place where it is, probably should be moved and raised up to where the large anubias WAS in front of the large rock. The other rocks that are there can be used to lift the fern up and become the focal point of the scape having the rock contrast w/ the fern and emphasize it's position.
3. put all the petites in a half circle border in front of the large rock around the windelov fern.
4. cut that marsilea up into 2 leaf parts and plant them deep (just to the base of the leaf like glosso)

Hardscape.
1. the large rock looks good where it is, but doesnt' have anything to balance it out.
2. To balance out the rock, the wood w/ moss can be laid down from where is forward putting the mossy part toward the front. That will dampen it's obtrusiveness and compliment the flow from left to right. There's no rhythm (no flow). put your blyxa around it...
3. I'd take the little rocks out on the left and put the lotus over there in front of the blyxa that is there.
4. try to eliminate clutter and balance out your hardscape.
5. put some emphasis on the hardsape instead of hiding it.

For fish, if you stick w/ rams, go w/ some small cories and maybe 12-15 smaller tetras, and keep the ottos (add more if you want). After those stems grow in the back the shrimp will have a better chance of surviving into a nice sized colony.

It's just my personal preference but I like to stick with fish that inhabit the same waters. When you start mixing fish from different geographic regions, (just my opinion) it gets tacky. I tend to keep Asian fish w/ asian fish (malaysia, borneo, viet nam etc.) SA fish w/ SA fish etc.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks chadly!

Midground
1. That huge anubias have got to go (doesn't fit the scape) I'm pretty much dead serious about that.
2. the windelov fern is out of place where it is, probably should be moved and raised up to where the large anubias WAS in front of the large rock. The other rocks that are there can be used to lift the fern up and become the focal point of the scape having the rock contrast w/ the fern and emphasize it's position.
3. put all the petites in a half circle border in front of the large rock around the windelov fern.
4. cut that marsilea up into 2 leaf parts and plant them deep (just to the base of the leaf like glosso)

can u explain this a little more?
2. To balance out the rock, the wood w/ moss can be laid down from where is forward putting the mossy part toward the front. That will dampen it's obtrusiveness and compliment the flow from left to right. There's no rhythm (no flow). put your blyxa around it...

okay i was pretty much thinking the same thing bout the anubias i already removed the windelov and im going to tear out the fourleaf clover i dont want it in this tank im doing sand.

·
Registered
308 Posts
to explain the wood position is somewhat tough for me because I can't really see the whole piece but I was thinking you could lay the wood down and point the mossy end part toward the front sorta at a 45 from the back corner.

p.s. to be completely honest the white sand you mentioned earlier will probably clash with the white rocks you have and be a wash out.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those are lace rock and they are more of a grey tone. hmmmm i like the look of a grassy foreground but at the same time i didnt want to deal with just one more plant to worry bout growing. lol

maybe i could do a black sand foreground. idk im really at a loss. i like the plant LILAEOPSIS BRASILIENSIS but if the blyxa does good then i think they would just blend in together. im really thinking im going to switch the blxa out for dwarf sag, then maybe get the LILAEOPSIS BRASILIENSIS.

well i went to the pet store and i was looking and i have come to my final stocking list.

im going to do
7 threadfin rainbow fish
3 yoyo loaches
3 sparkling gouramis
and maybe the school of microrasboras im thinking not thought since they are so shy. maybe the school of cardinals will stay or i will go with harlequin rasboras. thinking either school will be bout 8 each.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well that i can trim and keep clustered together with work lol they would need to fill in a bit of room in the tank so i dont think i would have to worry bout it for a while.

the marsilea grows to slow for my taste. i need moderate or fast. thats why i think a sand bed would just be more appropriate i get an instant result and then im dont add some of the yoyos and they keep it turned and so will the MTS even shrimp

·
Registered
703 Posts
I would have to agree with Nskylinerb-25, the scape could use more driftwood :). Also the hardscape just seems a little outta place for such a variety of plants that will hide all the rocks very soon. Its also hard to take my eye off of the anubis. Just like chadly stated, it should probably be removed. I would have to say dont replace it, just spread the plants that you allready have out. Also, maybe slide the blyxa over with the rest of it. I think that looks really good with the armonica and the moss covered wood climbing out of it on the right of your tank.
Cant wait to see your next photo update :icon_smil

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I have nothing to add since I have no aquascaping skills. However, have you thought about posting this over on the Aquascaping section and asking for critiques there as well?

As far as the stocking list, since you are wanting to keep the rams, I would plan the other fish around them. Especially since they become aggressive during spawning.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
green, sewing, and hilde,
thank you for taking some time to look at the tank i since moved out the anubias, in the place i added some bolbitis that i think works much much better. clustered the A.nana together and added some dwarf sag.

i did this since im not sure that the blyxa will grow in this setup yet. im still letting things grow and i dont want a pic of it yet till some of the stems grow fuller.

also Hilde i was playing with the idea of doing DIY CO2 since this tank is only 28 gallons and then i forgot oh thats right i have a hang on the back filter and that would waste a ton of co2. so the next step is to get a prefilter for the powerhead (which will also save the aromatic from getting torn up) and taking it off. but this also means that i have to wait for the tank to kinda cycle again.

sewing~ as for stocking i only have the one male ram now and im still looking for a nice healthy female but im waiting. im thinking that the cardinals, ram and otos will be the only fish unless i add another tetra school to the tank but that will have to wait.

give me bout another week and i will get you guys a pic. im anxious to show u it but im trying to refrain lol

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see there is a cave next to the lily. What is that? How are you planning to keep the lilly down?
its just a piece of lace rock that was like that, that i love.

the lily is just doing its thing. when i got it it was trying to make lily pads but u just cut them off and then it sends under water ones like u see. pretty simple:bounce:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.