The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first real attempt at a planted aquarium, I have had plants and aquariums before, however nothing setup from the start with plants in mind. I know the positioning of the aquarium next to the window isnt text book, however i have had one here for many years.

It is a new custom built 275l , (£290 - Hood, Cabinet, Glass Condensation sliding lid all included - not a bad price from my knowledge) - a black background will also be added

Lighting - Currently running 2x39w T5 - only until some more plants are purchased then the other 2x39w T5 bulbs will be switched on, also at disposal are 2x30w LED Flood lights for experimenting with at a later date. Also added some remote control LED RGB moonlighting so night viewing (99p - Couldn't resist)

Substrate - Tropica Plant Growth Substrate - with added clay - Topped with Black fine (ish) gravel

Ferts - I plan on sticking to EI Dosing & Co2

The layer of Tropica Plant Growth Substrate and extra clay

Planted with plants I already have, more still to come

Current Co2 System - everything is on a timer

Below are examples of the moon lighting, much better at night and does other colours - but definitely adds something for when the T5's go off

Posted the aquarium on here as a journal as im no expert by a long shot and it wont be long until something goes wrong haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New plants added

Some New plants have been added, as well I have changed the lighting pattern to 10 hours on the 4x39w T5's, with a mid day 4 hour burst with the 2x30w LED Flood lights, I will have to monitor the dredded BBA or whatever else wants to creep in.

with the tank having only just been set up, but using a mature filter (external 1000lph) - levels sit at

Ammonia:0.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

Co2 is pumping

And the fish are enjoying the new tank

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progress, but some small issues

EI Dosing is still what I’m sticking to

the hair grass is already starting to sprout new shoots off

all of the plants growing in

However a weird browning of some of the leaves? but they are still growing in fast, is this just because they are still settling or too much light – however it is not algae – these plants have been in for 6 days

The lighting schedule is 2 T5 Bulbs over the tank for 10 hours
and a 5 hour mid-day burst of 2x30w LED flood lights which mostly is over the hair grass and foreground plants

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update for the 275l

Just an update on growth

I have reduced the light to 4t5's for 9 hours a day and still dosing EI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts