The Planted Tank Forum banner

26 or 32 Watts Cfl for a 10 Gallon Standard Tank? Official Poll!

• A 26 watt CFL is better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is simply what will be more beneficial for a 10 gallon standard. A 26 or a 32 watt CFL(the fixture is for one bulb only). I realize that if all other conditions are on the up and up, the 6 watt difference may be negligible. However I would still like to hear ppl's opinions! I've had some issues with hair algae and less than desirable growth from some of my plants. (Furcata, HC and some others) and am hop

Below are the particulars/variables for my setup.

- 10 Gallon Standard
- Eco Complete
- Fluval C02 Mini
- Rootmedic Complete 500 (2 to 3x a week)
- Occasionally adding Flourish Excel
- 75 Watt Floor lamp(26 or 32 watt CFL 6500)
- Photoperiod: 7 hrs

Note: I took apart my HOB filter b/c it's flow was steadily decreasing and discovered a thread or strand of plant matter that had all but brought it to a complete halt. I also purchased a larger siphon and bucket, so water changes have become more efficient and regular. I'm hoping cleaner water will encourage plant growth, and discourage algae.

Thank you for any thoughts or info!

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
My question is simply what will be more beneficial for a 10 gallon standard. A 26 or a 32 watt CFL. I realize that if all other conditions are on the up and up, the 6 watt difference may be negligible. However I would still like to hear ppl's opinions! I've had some issues with hair algae and less than desirable growth from some of my plants. (Furcata, HC and some others) and am hop

Below are the particulars/variables for my setup.

- 10 Gallon Standard
- Eco Complete
- Fluval C02 Mini
- Rootmedic Complete 500 (2 to 3x a week)
- Occasionally adding Flourish Excel
- 75 Watt Floor lamp(26 or 32 watt CFL 6500)
- Photoperiod: 7 hrs

Note: I took apart my HOB filter b/c it's flow was steadily decreasing and discovered a thread or strand of plant matter that had all but brought it to a complete halt. I also purchased a larger siphon and bucket, so water changes have become more efficient and regular. I'm hoping cleaner water will encourage plant growth, and discourage algae.
Thank you for any thoughts or info!
Is your tank 10 standard with 2 sockets of cfl?

If it is, 15w for both is enough.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The trade off is coverage vs intensity. You will be marginal in intensity at 4-6 inches, but might get good enough coverage. Lower it and you likely won't get good coverage of the whole tank, but the intensity will be much higher. You will have to do some experimenting.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The trade off is coverage vs intensity. You will be marginal in intensity at 4-6 inches, but might get good enough coverage. Lower it and you likely won't get good coverage of the whole tank, but the intensity will be much higher. You will have to do some experimenting.
Yeah I figured. I suppose I should know by now, not many questions in planted tanks have cut and dry answers. Trial and error time. :tongue:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.