The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forum here... after doing quite a bit of research I've decided to start up my 25gal planted... it's been a wonderful learning experience, and thankfully I've had a pretty smooth ride so far.

I got this tank & geometrik stand from a local classified site around a month and a half ago, and I figured I would try something I've never done before - a planted tank... had an awesome start up cycle, no issues whatsoever... did end up having a minor ich outbreak and lost one platy (she was sick from the start, though), treatment with high heat and rid-ich plus killed it in only a few days... but other than that, no problems whatsoever.

it is extremely low-tech, far less than 1w/g (get quite a bit of natural light from a window), basic sand, nothing too fancy... fertilize only with flourish and flourish excel... but my plants and fish are all thriving and doing wonderfully! I have some massive java fern, amazon swords, red ludwigia, water wisteria, green cabomba, and some grassy stuff... looking to add more short foreground plants in the near future.

Fish are 2x dwarf gourami (honey f/cobalt m), 5x black skirt tetras, 1x red wag platy, 5x zebra danios, 2x otocinclus, and 1x rainbow shark (will rehome when he gets too big - only about 2" right now)

I have been heavily considering selling back all or most of the fish and going with nothing but a large school of neon or cardinal tetras and maybe a blue ram... I love my current fishies, but I find they just don't stand out enough against the heavy plants!

I hope to be able to track the growth and progress of my tank through this forum and share it with everyone else :)

(I will get better pictures soon, I promise!)

Before... eww... all the plastics

The sick platy resting on the cabomba (when it was just little)...

After... and the blue silicone :icon_frow

Look how big the cabomba got... high light my butt!

The centerpiece plants... java fern, sword, and grassy thing (help? lol)

my java fern plantlets tied down to a shell

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!! I actually moved the wood around again and i think i finally like the placement of it. My shark really likes swimming under the crevices, so I flipped over the other piece. The unicorns have been in the center of a lot of my tanks and bowls in the past, and the otos like them because they grow diatoms on them quite nicely ;)

And my wallet is definitely feeling it... But it's an extremely rewarding hobby and I find myself sitting in front of the tank just to watch them... it's relaxing and fascinating!

I have some serious tank envy seeing some members tanks... I wish I was good at this whole aquascape thing... but my plant selection is limited to what my 3 or 4 LFS carry... which isn't much. I've been having a hard time finding a foreground/carpet plant, other than micro swords... but without a proper substrate I'm not sure that would do too well.

This is all reminding me of how badly I need to get a proper camera... bah!!!

The fish were NOT thrilled about big thing moving in front of the tank but not giving food, lol

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, and here's a full shot of the stand and everything ... The flash really brings out the tannins in the water...

ETA: oooh.. the grassy plant is a vallisneria ... would explain why it's melting something awful with my daily excel dosing... gonna cut back to once every second day and hope it bounces back.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh... I really need to stay away on classified sites... just found a KILLER deal on a 33 gallon w/ an eheim canister and stand... sent an email just to make sure the price was not a typo, and to ask for more specs on the light/filter... i might be starting this over from the bottom up after all... to do it properly this time :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ahh... I really need to stay away on classified sites... just found a KILLER deal on a 33 gallon w/ an eheim canister and stand... sent an email just to make sure the price was not a typo, and to ask for more specs on the light/filter... i might be starting this over from the bottom up after all... to do it properly this time :)
so i ended up getting this one... i think it was a pretty sweet deal. standard 33gal (with black silicone unfortunately but that's okay), double tube 40watt hood, eheim ecco 2234 canister with media, a stand, a heater, and some plants in a baggie... for *drumroll* $40!

looking forward to getting this baby set up later, gonna look at petsmart for flourite or a different kind of substrate... i'm using the geosystem pacific sand right now and it bumps ph around a bit too much... i am excited, but the fiancee is less than thrilled about having another tank in the house. lol.

Let's call it the end of this thread, time to make a new one!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts