The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been enjoying all of the photos and soaking up the knowledge so I guess now it is time to take the leap and start my first planted tank. I have a 25g tall tank, I am going to use pressurized CO2 and I cleaned my own soil, topped it with sand and then topped that with gravel. I just picked up a driftwood log that is riddled with some woodpecker holes or something and grabbed a big rock from the back yard. My light is a 5tho 1x24W Hagen Glo. I first filled the tank 2 weeks ago, and just added the wood and rock. I plan to plant some grasses and moss, but not sure what else yet. I am also starting to think about fish and shrimp, but no decisions made yet on species.

This is a list of plants I have available:
Java Moss
Green Myrio
S. repens
Ludwigia repens
Amazon Frogbit
Miniature Water Lettuce
Blyxa japonica
E. vesuvius

I would love to hear any thoughts on my tank and answer any questions as my creation reveals itself in the next months. Thanks for reading and looking!

Jason

Attachments

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Welcome! Great to see someone from Albuturkey! what area are you in? I grew up in Sandia Park, though my parents are now out on the west side by the Petroglyph Monument - I sure do miss home!

Looks like you have a great start going. with the weather finally starting to cool off be sure to check the Swap and Shop section, you should be able to pick up some if not all of the plants on your list as a great price. Everything I have ordered from members here has been perfect (other then hot weather issues but that was my fault).

I cant wait to see it with plants! Your wood is very interesting and looks like pleco/shrimp heaven. Any idea of what type of wood it is? Also , looks like and eheim on it? what size?

Good luck - looking forward to see more updates and pictures!

Duff

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
New Pics 9/8/11

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Hi Duff, I am in the North Valley off of Rio Grande. My fiance and I just bought our first house, but I have lived in the downtown area (EDO), for most of the 10 years that I have lived here.

My filter is an eheim ecco pro 60, #2234. I have no idea what type of wood that is, I am kinda taking a risk just throwing it in there not knowing I guess.

I do have some new pics with the plants that arrived today. I think I planted around 20 plants in all. I am really excited to see how they grow. Now I am waiting for some java moss that I plan on adding to the top of the rock and somewhere on the wood.

So Far, Cabomba is in the front between rock and wood, not a good spot I know. E. vesuvius in the back left corner around intake filter. L. repens behind the rock. S. repens, three tiny plants in the front right corner. Myrio-Green in the back right corner. Giant hygro in front left corner. I think that one in front of the rock is a java fern, not sure though. I am supposed to have stargrass, but I am not sure if it is the other stuff in front of the rock or the tall one behind the cabomba. If it is the tall one, I am pretty sure I planted it wrong. Ha. Anyway, I can't keep my eyes off of it.

Thanks for looking,

Jason

Attachments

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Know both of those area's pretty well, my parents are off of Unser - amazing how the Valley and the West Mesa have grown over the years. When I was a kid - that area was no mans' land it was so far out there and getting across the river was such a pain. Congrats on the new house!

I think I like the wood in the going in the opposite direction, kind of makes it look like it was a tree and it fell into the water (top of wood to the left bottom of wood to the right) Other then that, I think it looks great!

Getting any idea's for fish/shrimp yet?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long has it been since you have been dwntwn here? I think it has changed drastically over the last 5-6 years. I love looking at the old pics of ABQ, with everything between the UNM campus and the Sandias still up for grabs. A few weeks ago I was reading a book about the expansion of US kind of just before and during the Civil War and they were talking about the ferries that would take people across the river in Albuquerque.

Anyway, I ordered a drop checker and some ferts last night. I guess it is time to start thinking about various "critters". I liked the wood going the other way too, but this way creates less shady spots. I am starting to think that I need a second light so I can cover the front and back with an appropriate amount.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Planted in Albuquerque new pics

I'm thinking that the wood is creating too much shade and is just too big for this tank, so I am taking it out (for now at least). I will probably remove the big rock soon and try to find some other interesting stones that are smaller to create more zones. I have started a dry fert. schedule of: KNO3 .25tsp, KH2PO4 .06tsp, CSM+B .06tsp (all 3X/week). I have also added a Cal Aqua Labs double check CO2 indicator.

I am planning to add a pair of Scarlet Badis to start off with and will be blowing off all of my other responsibilities while I decide what to add to the tank to compliment them (j/k....sort of). I found a pair on auction for $60, but I am waiting to see if I can view some pics before dropping that much cash on them.

I am happy with how the plants are doing, the water seems to be in good shape and I am confident that the habitat will be ready for residents within the week. As always, any suggestions, tips, tricks or critiques would be greatly appreciated. I have reached this point only through reading and following the advice of many of you. Thanks, I am enjoying the experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
9/15/11

Updated pic, I think I have figured out a start and maybe even a total list of livestock. I ordered 8 scarlet badis, 8 otocinclus, 4 amano shrimp, and some snails. The amanos and the snails are in town so I am still trying to make a final decision on the shrimp species. I am thinking I may add a pair of blue rams, but they may be a bit too aggressive for this list. Also considering some dwarf gourami to hang out toward the top once my roots fill in a bit.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
plant id? and update 9/17/11

Just secured java fern with dental floss and made a black drop for the back glass. Planted one stargrass stem horizontally in the front right sort of weaving it in and out of the gravel. Plants all seem happy enough, but none are really taking off yet. L. repens is pearling a little today, first time.

Can someone help id this little plant for me? I would like to find out what to expect as far as growth and spreading, but not really sure what it is. I have some ideas, but wondering what you all think.

Thanks,

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Operation Scorched Tank: Fingers crossed

I just had a moment of algae induced insanity during which I may have gone too far. I bleach dipped all of my plants, used hydrogen peroxide on my java fern and driftwood, added an old powerhead to the tank, did the most massive water change I have ever done, slightly increased CO2 and raised my lights. My fish are acting a little weird, but no casualties yet. The plants look much better, but I am now really hoping I got all the bleach neutralized/evaporated.
Look in swapnshop tomorrow, because if I come home from work to find a recolonization of hair algae in the tank I may have to do a random act of self preservation and retreat.
I bet algae is the number one reason for people giving up on planted tanks, it is maddening! Well, I guess I will see how it goes, wish me luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It has been 2 weeks since the algae war and the tank is still looking alright. Even though it doesn't look great I can tell that it is getting healthier quickly. The plants that took the bleach the hardest were stargrass and the water lettuce, they are both starting to make a comeback though.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.