The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to start a journal for my boyfriend's tank since he doesn't have an account here. today i was taking photos of some of the inhabitants...wanted to share them with people that would appreciate them.. :)

in the tank currently there are
6 tiger barbs
5 rummynose tetras
5 glass cats
5 kuhli loaches
1 redtail black shark
and 20 neons

the tank has been rearranged a bit recently, will post a full tank shot when i get one.

... some photos of the inhabitants

the redtail black shark seems to hide in it's cave alot.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
How much color manipulation did you do on those pics after taking them if any? I've never seen tiger barbs with colors that deep.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
full tank shot

here is a full tank shot, sorry I was having trouble getting any pics without glare. The tank was just rearranged about a week ago, to add in a lot more stones to create some caves and hiding places for the loaches and redtail black shark. Quite a few plants were removed in the process...but got some new ones on the way in the mail...:icon_smil

·
Registered
755 Posts
here is a full tank shot, sorry I was having trouble getting any pics without glare. The tank was just rearranged about a week ago, to add in a lot more stones to create some caves and hiding places for the loaches and redtail black shark. Quite a few plants were removed in the process...but got some new ones on the way in the mail...:icon_smil
Nicely done! those neon/cardinal tetras are good choice since they pop up with your dark background!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I really like it. It is going to look great with more plants.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whoa nice tank! :D Is that backround real?..or is it just a picture?
The background is real, its a DIY background using polystyrene and cement... I'll see if I can dig up a photo of before the tank was filled. it has a few ledges the glass catfish seem to like lurking under.. we also had moss growing over it but recently cut most of it off because it was becoming filled with string algae. but the moss seems to slowly be growing back :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow I love that background, that is probably one of the best DIY ones I have seen. I really want to do one in the tank I am about to setup and you may have just inspired me!! What kind of foam did you use. Did you tint the cement? Did it take a long time of soaking before it was safe for fish?
It was made with polystyrene slabs cut into shape, spray foam, silicone, Cemix Masonry Mortar Mix, and three different oxide cement colours. I also used a blow torch to shape the polystyrene. I soaked it for about a week maybe. The fish seem ok. My ph is the same as from the tap, 7.4.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmm good to know. so did you seal the cement with anything? You just used to silicone to glue it in the aquarium right?
no, didn't seal it with anything, the tutorials we looked at didn't seem to mention sealers, only to make sure to soak the bg for a while, replacing the water a few times. seems to be alright and the tank has been going about a year now.

and yes the silicone was just to glue it to the aquarium, and also to glue together pieces of the polystyrene....

waiting for the tank to be done soaking...annoying. i really wanted to put stuff in the tank haha.

·
Registered
481 Posts
ha, yup, I can imagine. I have my one tank going now and will be setting up the new tank sometime, so this would probably give me time to do this. What colors of tint did you use. I picked up some supplies this weekend and I got a brownish red and black pigment. I forgot to get sand though so Ill have to go back I guess. rats.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts