The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thought that I would keep the flow going here...

I added a second batch of Pygmy Cories and about 20 cherry shrimp. Mostly the tank is stable however I am working with a bit of staghorn algae. I have bumped up my CO2, trimmed affected plants, and am going to use Excell for a while. I am also trying to be less generous at feeding time!

My CO2Art CO2 system seems to have a leak. At just 1+ bpm I went through and entire 5 pound tank in a month. After an email from CO2Art and reading some posts here I am embarking on a bit of systematic trouble shooting. A preliminary bubble test really showed nothing..assuming I did it correctly. Next I will turn off the outlet and also the tank valve and see if the pressure drops over a few hours. Hopefully I simply did not tighten the main regulator connection well enough.

I am also starting to show signs of Multiple Tank Syndrome or at least it's companion Big Tank Envy. I used to have a 75 gallon and I miss having the size for the fish to explore or hide. I have a group of 7 silver tip Tetras who are always sparing or bullying the weaker ones. I think that they could use more space. I also would like to have at least one large(20+) school of Cardinals or Rummy Nose.

The idea of migrating from my 25 gallon is daunting and would be expensive considering large low iron glass tank prices and the loss I would take from selling my present tank. I have been watch Craig's List for a good prospect but of course find mostly traditional rimmed glass tanks. Once you have a low iron tank it is hard to go back.

Thanks to all for answering my questions in other threads and for your own thoughtful and informative discussions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A tip I learned when setting up a compressed air system in our shop is that on any pressurized gas system you can check for leaks with some really soapy water. I would start with the regulator solenoid unplugged and the CO2 tank valve open and check that initial connection by spraying or brushing the soapy water on. If no bubbles, turn on the solenoid and check the rest of the regulator with the soapy water (it shouldn't hurt anything, just avoid soaking the actual solenoid coil and plug). Make sure to rinse it off after you are done checking. The solenoid coil can be taken off for rinsing with the little nut on the bottom. You will find the leak this way, if there is one!

Good luck!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Good news and bad news.

I turned off the CO2 flow meter and also the tank valve earlier this evening. The working pressure held at 800 for the last 3 hours but I will check again in the morning. Hopefully this means that I just had not cranked down the tank connection enough on the first tank.

I had my first jumper this evening. One of my silver tipped Tetras ran out of water. It did not end well...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A tip I learned when setting up a compressed air system in our shop is that on any pressurized gas system you can check for leaks with some really soapy water. I would start with the regulator solenoid unplugged and the CO2 tank valve open and check that initial connection by spraying or brushing the soapy water on. If no bubbles, turn on the solenoid and check the rest of the regulator with the soapy water (it shouldn't hurt anything, just avoid soaking the actual solenoid coil and plug). Make sure to rinse it off after you are done checking. The solenoid coil can be taken off for rinsing with the little nut on the bottom. You will find the leak this way, if there is one!

Good luck!
Thanks! My new wrench and troubleshooting paid off. I had no pressure drop overnight(10 hours) so I am assuming that I did not have the tank connection tight enough.

Next time I change a tank I will do it in the evening and pressure test overnight.

Lesson learned...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The tank is doing well. There is still algae but it is under control. The Silver Tips are still bullying each other.

The big news is that I am going to migrate to a much larger tank so that the fish that I want to keep can school. The Silver Tips will go back to the LFS.

I have a WaterBox 120P(4820) on order and I received a suitable 48" stand from AFA along with a 48" light. I was considering going with a sump but have liked my Oase 250 Thermo so much that I am going to use a 600 for the new tank.

I plan to use my existing hardscape and leave a lot more open area with an "island" on one side sloping down to a "beach" on the other.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Lots going on right now.

The good news first. I am a Dad! Yesterday when I pulled the prefilter from my Biomaster I found lots of baby shrimp. It took about 30 minutes but I used a turkey baster to remove the mulm from the container they were in and then reintroduced them back into the tank. My guess is that I will be doing this for a while.

The bad news is that I am now fighting BBA. It is on some of my Buce and ferns, mainly in the area in front of where the water gets reintroduced into the tank. Luckily most of my Buce is glued to rocks so I pulled them and treated with Excell. They look much better now. I am also turning up my CO2 and starting it earlier before the lights turn on.

The really big news is that I decided that I really want a bigger tank and so am assembling equipment for a 120cm(4 foot) rimless tank to replace my current tank.. I am still deciding if I should start fresh with plants and hardscape due to the BBA. I will eventually post my current tank and light for sale as a local pickup in the DC/VA/MD area.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I think that someone should produce a new Netflix series called "Algae Hunters". Algae seems like a hobby within a hobby...

My BBA is on retreat. Basically I am just following general wisdom that I have gathered on TPT: cutting off affected leaves, increase CO2, adjusting tank flow, spot treatment with Excell, and more aggressive tank hygiene which for me included not overfeeding. It is fun watching those little buggers racing around for food but I think that I was coincidentally decreasing their water quality.

My one suggestion to others would be if you see any BBA at all then work it right away. Figure out which of the above issues you need to improve. It will not die or leave by itself and will just spread until you find your balance again. Yes, I know that this has been said here before but it is a hard won lesson for some of us...

Last week I added several Ottos and a few more Nerites in anticipation of the new tank. Hopefully it will ship in about a week. I guess I will start a new thread at that time. I have most of the equipment for it and am now figuring out the hardscape. It is tricky when you have an established tank and want to move it's contents to a larger one. I want to reuse my existing hardscape while adding more to take advantage of the new roomy space but not just recreate the old look. I think that this is called a "good" problem :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just a note on the new tank. The 120P arrived this week from Waterbox. It is huge compared to my 25 gallon. Tomorrow a couple of guys from Task Rabbit who have moving equipment, experience, and youth will come by to transfer the tank from my outside garage to my basement. I will take a bit of time setting it up and basically run it in parallel for a while, letting it cycle with some old media and then move over livestock and a few selected plants from the 60P.

I will either start posting some photos here of just begin a new journal. Fun!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have the 120P set up with hardscape and hope to have the filter and CO2 ready in a day or so. Planting after that. Once I have moved over livestock from the 25 Landen I hope to sell it along with the Twinstar "S" light and the CO2Art regulator system and diffusor to someone locally in the DC/MD/VA area.

New light is Twinstar "S" also. Filter is Oase Biomaster Thermo 600 and it has beautiful custom CO2 regulator system by @Bettatail.

I am hoping that the Biomaster 600 will provide enough flow as it will also be pushing through a Nilcog CO2 reactor.

IMG_3228.jpg

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I migrated everything over from the old tank and added a lot of plants. The big sword on the left will probably either get a serious trim of a new home.

I will start a new journal but until then...

IMG_3292b.jpg

21 - 34 of 34 Posts