The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is my 25g Innovative Marine Lagoon planted tank, just wanted to start a journal and keep track of my progress over time.

Dry Scape:

Dry Start (Began 1/22/21):

Flora:
  • Eleocharis belem
  • Bucephalandra brownie blue
  • Cryptocoryne wendtii var. green
  • Java Fern 'Windelov'
  • Echinodorus magdalenensis
  • Juncus repens
  • Ludwigia arcuata
Fauna:
  • Otocinclus vestitus
Hardscape:
  • Amazon Wood
  • Ohko Stone
  • ADA Amazonia
Equipment:
  • Current USA IC LED & Nicrew Sky LED Plus
  • DIY CO2
  • Innovative Marine AIO Filter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
5 days into the dry start and I am definitely seeing growth. New runners and roots are popping up. There was some die back from some of the clumps I planted. It seems like it was from the outer ring of the tissue culture (newer growth). I removed the dying leaves from these portions. Any planting ideas for the rest of the tank? I really have no idea what other plants to use.

·
Registered
242 Posts
5 days into the dry start and I am definitely seeing growth. New runners and roots are popping up. There was some die back from some of the clumps I planted. It seems like it was from the outer ring of the tissue culture (newer growth). I removed the dying leaves from these portions. Any planting ideas for the rest of the tank? I really have no idea what other plants to use.
Great start! And to be perfectly honest, I think having only hairgrass as the flora could look pretty awesome. Maybe something like blyxa japonica behind the wood/rocks, but I think having that central hardscape feature be the focal point might be perfect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great start! And to be perfectly honest, I think having only hairgrass as the flora could look pretty awesome. Maybe something like blyxa japonica behind the wood/rocks, but I think having that central hardscape feature be the focal point might be perfect.
Ooh, I hadn't through of doing that. I might go for that, maybe with some taller hairgrass varieties or other grass like plants in the background for some depth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Week 2 Dry Start:

The dry start has been going well. I started to notice minimal mold growing early last week and have been treating with diluted hydrogen peroxide. I also have been allowing the tank to air our more and have been spraying directly on the plants less. After a little less than a week of this it seems I am in the clear. The hydrogen peroxide definitely slowed down the growth of the hair grass, but everything still seems alive.

I am planning on modeling the planting after George Farmer's Aquascaper 1200.

Hoping everything continues to go well and I can get the tank wet in 3-4 weeks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tank continues to do well. Mold is all but gone, I occasionally have to spray a tiny spot of it. It seems like the eleocharis is rooting well and growing new leaves and I am seeing runners start to pop up. Hopefully growth will start to take off now that runners are establishing.

As for my other tanks, I have been waiting since December for my UNS 45s to arrive (to replace my standard 5g betta tank) and it should come in a few weeks! I sadly lost one of my bettas a few weeks ago, but will be repurposing his tank for a blackwater wild betta setup, likely with some Betta channoides.

Pippin, the betta I recently lost:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dry start update:

Growth continues but it is little slower than I would like, especially at almost a month in. Continuing to see signs of runners. Planning on adding some form of root tabs/osmocote to see if it helps at all. My light may also be a contributing factor, seeing as it was originally intended for reefs. It was a extremely week reef light and even with the current adjusted spectrum, it might be a little too blue. Looking into getting another light under $50 to supplement it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made a plant order tonight! Too impatient to continue the dry start, excited to get the tank wet sometime next week. Although I had hoped to get some rarer crypts, I ended up going with some standard crypts based off of what was in stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Long time no update! The tank was planted and has been wet for about a month. Dealt with some issue with my ADA Amazonia which have now been resolved (water still a tiny bit cloudy but is moving in the right direction). Plants have been growing super well and the tank has been cycled for about three weeks with just a nerite and some pest snails. Algae and microfauna have established so I decided to pick up 5 otocinclus today. Pictures tonight or tomorrow if I remember.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay pictures have arrived, algae and all. The quality of the fts sucks, kinda looks like I shot these on a potato, but pictures are better than no pictures. The clouding is NOT a bacterial bloom, but is rather coming from the ADA Amazonia :mad:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Awe, gotta love oto!! Yea, I've heard a lot about the clouding with amazonia. Make sure to follow cycling directions for it as there is ammonia involved in using it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awe, gotta love oto!! Yea, I've heard a lot about the clouding with amazonia. Make sure to follow cycling directions for it as there is ammonia involved in using it.
Luckily this Amazonia is being used from a previous setup, but it produced so much ammonia when I first used it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts