The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get some feedback on a planned rescape of my 25 gallon tank. I'm looking for a good alternative to Tropica Aquasoil. It would be my go to substrate, save for the fact I'd need so much of it and it goes for almost $60 / bag at the local store (Western Canada). As such, I'm looking for a good value alternative that will give my plants a good medium to root in, without costing an arm and a leg.

I've done some reading about sand capped organic topsoil, though there are a few things I'd be worried about. Probably the biggest concern I have is about the cory's and planned shrimp stirring up the substrate and exposing the soil. Is this a valid concern? As well how long would this last? I'd like to have the tank setup for a fairly long time, and if the soil will need to be replaced every couple months, I'd probably want to look elsewhere.

Alternatively I'd be fine paying for a branded planting substrate if it doesn't cost as much as the aqua soil and can give the same kind of benefits.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm honestly a little embarrassed I didn't even have that thought cross my mind. It's good to hear that it will work for what I'm after though. Thank you very much for the suggestion! Hopefully when I collect everything for the tank I'll get some nice pictures when it's together.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.