The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
It looks awesome! I love the low shape and the leaf litter. That glass looks really thick.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. Today, I'm looking for a little, mostly unrelated aquarium advice.

One of my cats is obsessed with aquariums. Not the fish. Not the shrimp. He sees it as the ultimate water bowl. He is also fat, clumsy, and stupid. A few days ago, he managed to launch his blubberus body up onto the light fixtures. In his attempt to retreat after being spotted, he dropped a light fixture into the tank. After a few hours or dry time, the fixture was back to working order, and I had to come up with a new idea for the aquarium.

The ghetto light rigging it came with, while effective, put the lighting up a bit higher then I'm looking for at this stage. I'd really rather not raise the lighting for at least a few more weeks while everything settles in. Thusly, I've been hoping retard cat has moved on for his quest of things drinkable. (Seriously, we have 2 other aquariums, he never tries to drink out of those. Just THIS one. >_<)

I awoke this morning, to 2 light fixtures thoroughly underwater and a splash radius of about 2 feet around the aquarium. Including into the power strip. That was plugged in and on. >_< Everything has been unplugged and is drying now, no harm done, this time. For the amount of cat hair floating in the tank, I can only hope he fell in this round, which would account for the massive splashes. But that's no guarantee he won't try it again. He is very stupid. How does one keep the very obnoxious cat from dunking the light strips every 48 hours? As this already has a few immersed plants, a solid cover isn't an option (not to mention I don't like covers on my aquariums, far to fiddly).

Any ideas? Anyone?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Relocate the tank to a freestanding position away dorm any chairs or tables for the cat to climb up on.

Nice work on the tank. Great find....

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Put the cat on craigslist. 'Free'
As tempting as that may be, I don't think I could be so cruel to a stranger. LOL.

acitydweller said:
Relocate the tank to a freestanding position away dorm any chairs or tables for the cat to climb up on.

Nice work on the tank. Great find....
If there were any other place to put it, I probably would. Sadly, this was pretty much the only option. Between having duct tape face up on the table near by for a few weeks, and creating a bit of a baffle, I think I've solved my problem. No soggy light strips or cats in a few weeks.

Thanks! It was my first time dismantling and resealing a tank. Whoever put it together last time, didn't bother to square it up. There were several 1/4" gaps between pieces of glass. Pretty impressive it held water as long as it did.

GMYukonon24s said:
Nice tank! I like the whole look for it.
Thanks! It's grown in quite a bit the last week or two. I'll try and get a few new shots of it tonight before I trim it up and do a water change.

·
Registered
781 Posts
VERY COOL TANK!!!

The scape and plants you used are GREAT!!!!! Can't wait to see how it grows in! Sorry I can't help on shrimp, as I have not been able to get into them, YET!!

Keep up the great work!
Drew

·
Registered
781 Posts
P.S.

What kind of leaves are you using in the tank?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VERY COOL TANK!!!

The scape and plants you used are GREAT!!!!! Can't wait to see how it grows in! Sorry I can't help on shrimp, as I have not been able to get into them, YET!!

Keep up the great work!
Drew
Thank you! It's really starting to grow on me!

BoxxerBoyDrew said:
P.S.

What kind of leaves are you using in the tank?
Indian Almond Leaves. I'm thinking next week it will be time to add 4 or 5 more. I tear them up a bit, they sink faster that way and make it easier to put them where I want them, rather then let them cover up all the little plants growing in random places.

Jubs said:
Looks awesome! Great job! I love the footprint of the tank!
Thank you! I'm quite taken with the footprint myself. Really about the perfect size, though sometimes I wish the glass were a bit thinner. Haha.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update night!

It's certainly been a few months. Due to some, unforeseen circumstances, this tank got some serious neglect from the middle of August, to the end of September.

It's never looked better.

Does anyone elses aquariums seem to do BEST, when completely neglected. No water changes, barely any topoffs, just left to grow wild and free? Cuz when I was finally able to get back to it, my algae problem was gone, my shrimp colony had exploded, and everything else seemed to have settled in really, really well. I gave it another week or so before I pulled out all of the anacharis, half the rotala, and did some rearranging. At this point in time, I'm pretty pleased with it's progress.

While I still only have about half a dozen adult shrimp in the tank, I have probably at least 50 or 60 juvies. Mind, that's only as many as I can count outright, who knows how many are hiding back in the depths of the tank. Possibly I'm looking at 2-3x as many. The bolbitus still has a long ways to go, in the land of being filled out, but it's making steady progress, and moving along faster then I was expecting. Perhaps by as early as the beginning of next year, it will really start to look like what I'm picturing in my head. The rotala, ultimately, won't stay forever. As soon as I can find something to put there, it will be going. Ultimately, I'd like some vals of some sort to line that back corner, but the 6 week debacle of bad things happening pretty much tapped my fish tank fund. Thus, it will have to stay mostly uninhabited for a while longer.

I'm not really sure what I want to put in it anyway. Originally, it was setup for licorice, or chocolate gouramis. Possibly with a healthy school of pymgy cories, but I've also played around with the idea of guppies, killis, or a pair of dwarf cichlids. I'm thinking they would make a real mess of the dirt though, so not sure how I feel about that. Totally open to suggestions though! Mind, it will probably just be shrimp for at least a few more months. Ultimately, I want their colony to grow and stabilize before I add anything in there that will start munching on them.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, well, I lie even to myself. Went to go sell my trimmings from my tanks back to the petstore today, and happened upon an incredible pair of honey gouramis. One of my all time favorite fish. So, they came home with me, as well as the last sparkling gourami in the shop, that was from the group I ordered for my other tank back in July. I tossed him into the 25 for now, to recuperate before being introduced into the 8 gallon. He was fat, but missing most of his tail, and genuinely looking pretty bad.

Anywho. The last of the stem plants were pulled from this tank on Tuesday, and a 2 more crypts and a few sprigs of bolbitus were added. I think I'm officially done rearranging the scape. At this point it out it should all be maintenance type things for the foreseeable future.

I snapped a few quick shots tonight, but between the obsessive amounts of duckweed, and the tannin stained water, they certainly aren't my best work.

We call him George.

Thus far, she remains nameless.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts