The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my 25g Innovative Marine Lagoon planted tank, just wanted to start a journal and keep track of my progress over time.

Dry Scape:

Dry Start (Began 1/22/21):

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
5 days into the dry start and I am definitely seeing growth. New runners and roots are popping up. There was some die back from some of the clumps I planted. It seems like it was from the outer ring of the tissue culture (newer growth). I removed the dying leaves from these portions. Any planting ideas for the rest of the tank? I really have no idea what other plants to use.

·
Registered
242 Posts
5 days into the dry start and I am definitely seeing growth. New runners and roots are popping up. There was some die back from some of the clumps I planted. It seems like it was from the outer ring of the tissue culture (newer growth). I removed the dying leaves from these portions. Any planting ideas for the rest of the tank? I really have no idea what other plants to use.
Great start! And to be perfectly honest, I think having only hairgrass as the flora could look pretty awesome. Maybe something like blyxa japonica behind the wood/rocks, but I think having that central hardscape feature be the focal point might be perfect.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great start! And to be perfectly honest, I think having only hairgrass as the flora could look pretty awesome. Maybe something like blyxa japonica behind the wood/rocks, but I think having that central hardscape feature be the focal point might be perfect.
Ooh, I hadn't through of doing that. I might go for that, maybe with some taller hairgrass varieties or other grass like plants in the background for some depth.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Week 2 Dry Start:

The dry start has been going well. I started to notice minimal mold growing early last week and have been treating with diluted hydrogen peroxide. I also have been allowing the tank to air our more and have been spraying directly on the plants less. After a little less than a week of this it seems I am in the clear. The hydrogen peroxide definitely slowed down the growth of the hair grass, but everything still seems alive.

I am planning on modeling the planting after George Farmer's Aquascaper 1200.

Hoping everything continues to go well and I can get the tank wet in 3-4 weeks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank continues to do well. Mold is all but gone, I occasionally have to spray a tiny spot of it. It seems like the eleocharis is rooting well and growing new leaves and I am seeing runners start to pop up. Hopefully growth will start to take off now that runners are establishing.

As for my other tanks, I have been waiting since December for my UNS 45s to arrive (to replace my standard 5g betta tank) and it should come in a few weeks! I sadly lost one of my bettas a few weeks ago, but will be repurposing his tank for a blackwater wild betta setup, likely with some Betta channoides.

Pippin, the betta I recently lost:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dry start update:

Growth continues but it is little slower than I would like, especially at almost a month in. Continuing to see signs of runners. Planning on adding some form of root tabs/osmocote to see if it helps at all. My light may also be a contributing factor, seeing as it was originally intended for reefs. It was a extremely week reef light and even with the current adjusted spectrum, it might be a little too blue. Looking into getting another light under $50 to supplement it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Made a plant order tonight! Too impatient to continue the dry start, excited to get the tank wet sometime next week. Although I had hoped to get some rarer crypts, I ended up going with some standard crypts based off of what was in stock.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Long time no update! The tank was planted and has been wet for about a month. Dealt with some issue with my ADA Amazonia which have now been resolved (water still a tiny bit cloudy but is moving in the right direction). Plants have been growing super well and the tank has been cycled for about three weeks with just a nerite and some pest snails. Algae and microfauna have established so I decided to pick up 5 otocinclus today. Pictures tonight or tomorrow if I remember.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay pictures have arrived, algae and all. The quality of the fts sucks, kinda looks like I shot these on a potato, but pictures are better than no pictures. The clouding is NOT a bacterial bloom, but is rather coming from the ADA Amazonia :mad:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Awe, gotta love oto!! Yea, I've heard a lot about the clouding with amazonia. Make sure to follow cycling directions for it as there is ammonia involved in using it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awe, gotta love oto!! Yea, I've heard a lot about the clouding with amazonia. Make sure to follow cycling directions for it as there is ammonia involved in using it.
Luckily this Amazonia is being used from a previous setup, but it produced so much ammonia when I first used it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Replacing the Amazonia today. The clouding simply won't go away and I don't have to time to be doing 3+ large water changes a week to keep the tank clear enough for plant growth. The plan is to remove 90% of the substrate and leave a fine layer remaining + root tabs to have nutrients for the plants. The rest of the substrate will be Estes Stony River Sand (the natural color).

On another note, I am glad to be doing this because I just discovered that I have a mayfly larvae infestation. Every rock I pick up has multiple of those creatures underneath, gag.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ouch on the mayfly larva!! Sorry you're going through that.
Glad I got to them before they got any fish or shrimp, they are definitely one of the nastier freshwater pests. Don't even get me started on saltwater pests, Bobbit worms are truly the stuff of nightmares.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Omg I had a bobbit worm hitchhiker on live rock in my puffer fowlr, that thing was horrifying!! I've also experienced dragon fly nymphs that took out 3 betta fry before I found them. I definitely feel your pain!! Thank heavens they didn't get to anything!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am so happy with how the tank is looking. Clouding is completely gone, now onto focusing on plant growth and stocking! Image quality got completely ruined though :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts