The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone! im new to the forum (amazing site) and learning so much about planted tanks .... i currently have a 66g cube reeftank been reefing for over 11 years now! ...

i recently bought a 24x24x20 cube tank that i would like to make it planted :) .... any lights that yuou can recommend i would really appreciate it.....

also is having a sump as a filtration good?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Welcome to the forum. LED lights work. I've been using the cheap evilbay Beamswork LED fixtures timed 10 hours a day, and it's been good to me for a year now. Still going on strong. Sump is great. You'll probably need a dual stage CO2 regulator setup if you're serious about plants. It'll cost $150 - $350. People have reported that single stage regulators have released all of the CO2 and killed the fish.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depending on how much light you want, one AquaticLife Halo Freshwater would be perfect for a tank that size.

Canisters are the de-facto standard for a freshwater planted tank, but sumps are great also, it should be setup differently than for saltwater though. If you are injecting CO2 you want to minimize off-gassing, so wet-dry, for example, is generally a bad idea. I have run canisters in the past and m currently running a 20 g sump for my 48 g tank. The main advantages of sumps for freshwater tanks are:

• Lots of room for media
  • Less cleaning needed than canisters
  • Getting all the gear (heaters, probes, dosing tubes, etc.) out of the display tank
  • Constant water level in the display tank

Disadvantages (vs. canisters) are:
  • Initial setup requires more work (this is half the fun for me)
  • CO2 loss (can be reduced with careful setup)

Also, regarding dual vs. single stage regulators: if you go with a pH controller on your CO2, it will reduce the risk of end of tank dump (EOTD) from a single stage regulator. Also helps to have a quality regulator, needle valve, and solenoid. I have only ever used a quality (Green Leaf Aquariums) single stage regulator with a pH controller, and have run every tank completely empty, and I have never had a problem with EOTD - I can see on my pH plots where it starts to happen - when the tank is almost empty, the pH drops a little faster than usual - but the controller shuts it off before CO2 levels get too high.

-Justin

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'll chime in here and suggest a Kessil. You came from the reef world, so I'd assume you heard about Kessils there. Kessils aren't known as much in the freshwater, but they are an awesome light. I have a 24x18x18 tank, and my Kessil A360WE Tune Sun can cover a 24x24x24 tank. Its a great light that will grow anything you want and can be controlled with an Apex or Kessils own controller, or you can manual adjust it. They also have the A160 which is less powerful, but is supposed to cover the same area. The A160 is also adjustable. Take a look at my journal in my signature. I'll be posting more often hopefully in the coming days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.