The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, ive been lurking for a while, but finally decided to post. a little about me; i have kept central and south american cichlids almost my whole life. my first fish was a convict cichlid in a 10 gallon at the age of 6. the only time i took a break from fishkeeping was during high school and college. now that ive been working full time, ive been able to score a sweet deal on a 240 gallon tank off CL. aquascaping is ridiculous! (tried doing it when it was full, and i had to come on and off the ladder often)

before that, i had 2x 55 gallons. one was heavily planted with livebearers and the other had large java fern mats, and contained more semi agressive fish (electric blue jack dempsey, rainbow shark, angel fish, roseline sharks). anyway, i wondering if you all think that they could co-exist in the new 240 gallon tank. obviously, a lot depends on the individual fish, and layout of the tank, but id like to hear as many experiences as i can to make the correct accomodations. would the livebearers still be able to reproduce with some fry surviving?

240g Tank Setup:
eco complete gravel, black - 300 pounds
2x 48inch dual T5 light fixtures (coralife)
3 aquaclear 110's (should i prefilter with sponges?)
natural sunlight from sides of tank.

Inhabitants (all livebearers are female):
2x guppy
6x platy
3x swordtail
6x corydora (assorted)
12x otocinclus
3x kuhli loach
1 african dwarf frog
5 Gouramis (gold, opaline, pearl x2, dwarf)
1 angel fish
2 electric blue jack dempsey (2 inch, 4 inch)
1 rainbow shark
7 roseline shark
1 marble convict (female = smaller, should be less agressive, but still a convict)
1 german blue ram
1 ghost shrimp

Plants:
30-40x jungle val
4x amazon sword
20x java fern (1 large mat, many smaller plants as well)
1 patch of dwarf hairgrass
1 banana plant

i know this all sounds random, but im really open to all the help/suggestions i can get. can i get more fish? thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
seems to me the dempsey would be the only real problem, mostly because they get like 5 inches or better. the rest, with enough plantings, hides and visual blocks should be able to sort it all out or stay out of each others way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh yeah, you guys are probably right. the EBJD and the roseline sharks are my priority, so i guess i will make a shift from the livebearers. maybe sailfin mollies? but then again, they are moreso brackish...can you recommend any plant safe larger schooling fish?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Jacks will destroy a planted tank when ever they feel like it on a whim. Java Ferns, Anubias, Bolbits attached to rock are your best options. Anything planted in the substrate will become floaters at some point.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'd give the jacks their own separate tank. They'll dig up (plants) and eat (smaller fish) a lot of what's listed when they're fully grown, plus brutalizing the angel, gouramis, and convict (convicts are NOT aggressive when not breeding). The best non-herbivore large schoolers that come to mind are one the rainbowfish species and bleeding heart tetras.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts