The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Current Nova Extreme T5 HO 4x24W over a 15 gal. tank using only 2 of the bulbs.

I want to get a 40 long gal. tank and was wondering if gut the Current shell and DIY mount all 4 bulbs, two rows of 2 end to end. Would this be OK?

If so it would be ideal for me as I can gut everything including the dual timers, fan, and moon lights.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Assuming you have the necessary DIY skill, I would think so. Particular issues you'll probably run into:

1) You'll need to be able to safely and accurately replace or splice wiring to gain some extra length.

2) It will help if it doesn't use a one-piece reflector for all four bulbs. Otherwise you'll have to cut it, which might be tricky. Make sure you maintain the exact same bulb to reflector distance in your new shell.

3) The existing bulb sockets may be difficult to mount on your new shell, likely being designed to slide into a particular slot, rather than being screw mounted. You might need to purchase new ones. Or come up with a novel mounting scheme. I used velcro on my DIY fixture. A patch on the back of the socket, and long strips on the inside of the shell. Everything is at the exact width that when the bulb is inserted, it applies enough pressure to the velcro to lock it in place. Removing the bulb, you can separate the velcro, and move the sockets forwards or backwards in the shell to tweak light distribution.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I would definitely replace the reflector with individual reflectors for each bulb. You could DIY them from thin aluminum sheet, or buy ready made reflectors. You will want to hang the light several inches above the top of the tank to avoid having too much light.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have the stock reflector and I have a single A&H reflector laying around, but where can I buy single 24" reflectors to use one each bulb?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I use Icecap reflectors. Many vendors sell them, so Google them up and see who's got the best deal. They are a bit pricey, especially for four individual bulbs, but they are top notch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Odd a 48" reflector is like $2-3 more than a 24" which is like $15-21. I wouldn't need the bulb clips. So I think I'll just get 2 48" and cut them to size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts