The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what led mix would go for seeming my radiance has a few dead xpe's and there 2 channels in the light (white and blue)

I was thinking of unscrewing the plate and using thermal epoxy and stick new stars in there but yeah

So what's the mix you like using ?

The image shows the current configuration

And there 2 banks of 12, 1 on each side of the light and everything leads me to beleive that 3w diodes would be the go

·
Registered
13,292 Posts
No ones gunna but in before I fill it full of warm and neutral whites with 2 blue and 2 red and 2 uv in the mix?
8 blues 4 whites per board???

Problem I see is it would be better to put the "colors" on the inside row.. Leaving whites on the outside..
Not critical though
Second is what "white" is in there? K rating wise 6500K 10000K?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok just recently swapped out half the violets for cyans and color is amazing! So this is for a 120g but ratios for whatever your using should correlate....
CH1 : 36 white 6500K (3 LDD-1000H)
CH2 : 12 white 4500K (1 LDD-1000H)
CH3 : 6 red 6 3000K (1 LDD-600H)
CH4 : 6 violet 420nm 6 cyan(1 LDD-600H)
Ch6 : 3 led moonlights

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah no uv and no blue in a planted! I'm from the reef world and still have 3 reef tanks too but once you get the 14k blue out of your system you'll really enjoy a planted.
Pic for reference of led fixture I built...
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
243 Posts
i hear you box! sorry man, its crazy how there are a select few willing to help, this forum goes dormant like my wife for long periods of time!! hope some of the info helped you make a decision! please keep us updated with choices and always photos are a bonus!

·
Registered
13,292 Posts
cool white + deep red alone makes CRI>90 and is much less distracting.

That is a very good combination.. and I've used it myself.
also did the same w/ royal blue/cool white (substituted warm white here as well) and 660nm red.

As to cyan I have to admit to being quite skeptical at first.. When did my first build there were others building the "perfect" sun imitating spectrum..
Both cyan and "purple" (UV) were used and I also thought "what is the point".

After awhile and thinking about the 500nM "gap" w/ white LEDs and the absorption band of carotinoids (ancillary photosynthetic pigments) I was intrigued by cyan. Cyan arguably hits or misses this depending on nM peak and spread but it was the best shot and it had a high visual appeal to the human eye.
Bought some, put them in a fixture and I was sold. This is not just plant related but a visual appeal I found lacking in almost all "white" LED's regardless of ancillary colors (royal blue or deep red)

As a side note and taking a cue from manufacturers if w/r was good enough such products as "lime" and PC Amber would not be researched..

Besides the big draw to LED (for me at least) is being able to tweak the look at a whim or experiment w/ growth w/ other colors..

If I felt cool white/660nm red was "good enough" (and this IS a PERSONAL OPINION) I could have easily bought a t5HO and stuck in roseate/6500k tubes and call it a day.

works for some, works for many.. and I understand that as well..

If I wanted a set it and forget it light or was satisfied w/ static ( I do like watching my tank ramp up in the morning) this is quite intriguing:

Problem is:
Available in 48-inch 40 watt and 24-inch 20 watt sizes, Hydrofarm® Agrosun®Full Spectrum Fluorescent Tubes fit any standard T12 fluorescent fixture.
Done.. Boxed in..

this way of thinking isn't for everyone.. and I may change my own opinion in the future.. I like to believe i'm at least a little flexible.. ;)

we've come a long way in a short period of time.. From believing MH/HPS "oven" lights were THE only thing to grow plants to the "purple" LED plant lights.......

nothing is perfect.. ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So something like this would be correct keep in mind there will be 2 banks of this layout to make 24 led's

It's all going inside a aqua one radiance 3 that has a few dead chips on one side

The good side il aquire dimable drivers and make a nano light from and use blue to get a colour mix I like

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.