The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 24 gallon tank 24in wide 20in tall and 12in deep. I aquired for free an Glo t5 HO 2 bulb 24in light fixture. It was used about 2 months on a small salt water tank. It has 1 white bulb and 1 blue bulb in it wattage unknown. Looked on bulbs and wattage can not be read. I want to start a low tech planted tank with no co2. Is this light going to be able to be used on this tall tank? At the price of this light I would sure like to be able to use it and not buy another unit. Reaseraching their are bulbs available for this unit. What wattage to buy for the set up I would like to build aventually with fish. Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
The wattage is for 24 inch T5HO bulbs are 24w. You can use any bulb you'd like, you don't just have to use the glo bulbs... just make sure its T5HO, 24 in, 24 w.

And that light should be plenty for a low-light tank, in fact it might be too much. Consider using a single bulb at first, then if you run into light issues add the second.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T5ho Fixture

I can understand this 2 bulb fixture ( T5HO ) May be too much light for a low tech tank. Seeings this GLO light was free I sure do not want to part with it. I do have to change the reflector it is discolored from salt water. I ordered it today. This tank is 20 in tall. If I have to I will defuse the light of 1 bulb to cut the wattage down and try that. Hopefully this will help. Any thoughts on trying this? I sure do not want like I said to do away with this quality of light. Thanks:help:

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I doubt that the fixture will work with one bulb removed or deactivated in any way. And, two bulbs definitely gives you high light, needing CO2 to avoid all kinds of algae problems. But, you can raise the fixture above the tank, by hanging it about 12 inches above the tank, and get low light that way. Or, leave the reflectors off entirely and that might drop the intensity down enough to avoid the need for CO2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts