The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting two of these for my 55gallon. Does anyone have a opinion on them? Or a place to get them a little cheaper?

24" 2x65W Coralife FRESHWATER Aqualight, 2x 6,700K, -Straight Pin

here are the stats:
(per unit...I will be getting 2)
Dual 65W bulb unit (130W of Light!).
* 2x 65W Coralife 6,700K Compact Fluorescent Lamps Included.
* Built-in Electronic Ballast.
* Sleek Aluminum Housing.
* Highly-Polished Reflector.
* Acrylic Lens Cover.
* 2 On/Off switches and 2 power cords for separate timers.
* 2 fans built into this unit

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you put it up on legs, it wouldn't matter. You would get a better light spread, and you wouldn't have to worry about heat.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I don't think it would burn or melt. I have a similar fixture with no legs on my 75 gallon with no problem. There isn't even a fan in the thing.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Me said:
Originally Posted by Left C
If you want an open top tank; the adjustable (flip up) legs are nice:
Would I be able to take the plastic part on the top totally off????? Or is it a support thing. (I did get it from wal-mart)
Don't take the center strap off unless you want to make a mess. The glass bows out when the tank is full. The center strap keeps the bowing in check.

What's that got to do with the flip up legs anyway? The legs mount on the left and right sides of the top aquarium frame. They are not mounted on the front or back frame and not on the center strap either.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't take the center strap off unless you want to make a mess. The glass bows out when the tank is full. The center strap keeps the bowing in check.

What's that got to do with the flip up legs anyway? The legs mount on the left and right sides of the top aquarium frame. They are not mounted on the front or back frame and not on the center strap either.

Thanks I would have had a big mess!!!

I was thinking that the flip up legs could rest directly on the glass, making it look a little nicer. (Kind of centering the light about the tank.)

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just received my Coralife 48" fixture yesterday, and there is a space in the center, between the bulbs, that winds up right over the support brace for my 55, it seems to be good there so far. They (Foster and Smith) ship really quickly, and they pack very well too, I highly recommend them :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts