The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in here owns such tank? Is it possible to have one in a 72x24x30 inches (LxWxH)? I want the top to be Eurobracing style. I hate the braces in the middle!

Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well anything is possible. At that height and length your probably looking at a minimum 1" thick material if not more. I would find a reputable manufacturer near you and ask for a quote. Shipping to your location will probably be the biggest hurdle/cost addition.

The 1" is a guess. I'm having a 60 x 24 x 18 custom built with minimal euro bracing and it will be 1" thick. So I wouldn't be surprised if you end up thicker.

·
Registered
251 Posts
At tenecor anything is possible. They actually offer the exact dimensions your asking for. However I'm not sure what type of bracing they do, i would assume at that size they would do eurobracing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!

@JDowns, I would love to see some pictures of your tank

@RianS, What is your opinion of Tenecor? Came across their site late last night and I know they have the size I want. Their site does not have many details about what type of top they have on them.

@EdwardN, Thanks for the link! Nice setup but in my line of work, a tank of such measurements is a bit risky. I move every 2 to 3 years (not by choice) and sometimes I could end up going overseas for as long as 3 yrs. I've decided to get acrylic instead of glass because I would not be taking the tank with me overseas. I believe acrylic would be better if I was to storage it. I would not just want to store an Oceanic and then come back 3 yrs later to find out that the silicone has gone bad...

I would like to hold cichlids with some plants. At this time, all this is under the planning phase. I am starting to think I should go under 225...

I am open to suggestions if you have them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My tank is in the engineering phase and has not been built yet. I'm working on finalizing a custom false back for equipement. It will be after the new year that it gets delivered.

I did recently recieve a tank from Tenecor with the exact dimensions that you want. But its for a paludarium and used much thinner acrylic since it will only have a water area 10" tall. Plus I chose a closed top with large lids obviously.

Dennis at Tenecor is great to work with and I would recommend them highly. Very nice workmanship and quality. I would recommend shooting them an email with your specifications and work out the engineering from there. The manufacturer will be able to much better address any questions you may have and explain what can and can't be done. But my experience with them is they are willing to do what it takes to build you the product you want.

This is the tank in the build out and testing phase before its delivered to a client.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JDowns,

Thanks for your reply. So far, I like what I see from Tenecor. I sent them an email as you suggested.

Thanks for posting your tank. Are your edges rounded. Very nice tank indeed. Was the delivery fee reasonable?

·
Registered
275 Posts
No I went with standard edges since it will be a front view tank only. An array of large potted plants will flank the tank on the right and left. So no need for rounded corners.

Delivery was a non issue since I'm local. :icon_wink Plus they offer a nice in-state discount which was an added bonus.

Their standard top is large rounded lids. I'd have to measure, but I believe the access hole would be equal to 3/4 the depth and close to that the width. The lids are recessed. The main part is the cut out from the hole minus material from finishing (about a 1/4" around) with fall through supports on all four sides. So the lid sets into place. But with euro bracing that scenario goes out the window.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Another thing to consider with that tall of a tank is maintenance. Simulating this maintenance would be a good idea. Figure cleaning glass, pruning plants, etc. Factor in the height of your stand, your height and reach, and determine if the height of the tank is going to be a pain down the road. If a step stool is not out of the question then consider a saftey cloth to stop any of your clothing from rubbing on the tank and scratching it. I went to the fabric store and bought a double sided felt sheet and had it cut the size of the front for while working inside the tank. Extra steps and precautions have to be taken to protect the acrylic.

Consider your substrate. Sand and a magnetic cleaner are a bad mix. All it takes is one grain of sand and its gonna be a disaster. I stopped using a magnetic cleaner all together. I keep an acrylic pad and hand clean. The pad then goes in a ziploc bag to prevent any grit from coming in contact with it. Only ever use an acrylic approved cleaner to avoid discolorations and crazing.

Before buying an acrylic tank a few extra things have to be considered. But the clarity of acrylic far outweighs the extra precautions that have to be taken IMHO. Unfortunatly a simple oops with acrylic can be a nightmare. Like a belt buckle against the face. :icon_wink

I'm not trying to discourage you from acrylic. I have acrylic tanks, and I'll replace my large tank with another due to I want a shorter open top, and crazing from using a non acrylic cleaner for too long. Just remember to keep in mind. "Is what I'm doing right now safe". Or if you have kids like my nephew who like to take their matchbox cars and run them across any and all surfaces, you might want to consider glass. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would not just want to store an Oceanic and then come back 3 yrs later to find out that the silicone has gone bad...
What would make silicone "go bad"?

I dunno, if it was me, for a tank that's 6 ft., wide, I'd want the structural integrity that middle braces give you. Engineering has got to win out over minor esthetic considerations.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JDowns,

Thanks for those tips. Very helpful buddy! As for the height, I have been doing some thinking. I still want that height...but I am thinking of not going with plants when I set up the tank. I am still on the planning phase of all this since I am currently overseas and I am due to return stateside by next summer. So as you can see, I am doing the research early.

@PDX-PLT, good question on the silicone. I personally have never seen or had a tank where the silicone went bad. I have read on several forums where keeping a tank dry or not currently in use would make it prone to the silicone going bad. I am welcome to hear others comments/lessons learned.

I work for Uncle Sam and he likes to move me all over between 2-3 years at a time. This is a factor that I tops highly on my research list and this time I want to go with a "big league" tank. I really do not want to have 3-4 tanks all over the house when I first got into this fascinating hobby.

As for the desire of no middle braces, Scolley has a acrylic but I think his tank is smaller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts