The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a posting on Craigslist for a used 220 for $750. I was able to get the seller to lower their asking to $500. I am wondering if $500 is a good price for a 220 tank, stand and light fixture. The tank has been cared for and still is full of water but not fish. Was wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi Daniel12490,

Every market is a little different, here in Seattle a dollar a gallon is a typical price for a used tank / light / stand unless it is extraordinary and has a lot of expensive "extras".

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
So much depends on the market and lots of small details. Tanks can be good or bad even when cared for if the person doing it is careless about the way they scrape algae. Check the silicone.
Stands can be made well or not worth hauling home. Lights can fall into the same category.
So the real price has to be what you feel it is worth to you personally versus what the seller feels is right. If you really, really want it, it will be worth too much. But if the seller really, really wants to get rid of it so he can move, he might be willing to give it away.
For that tank, $500 might be right in my area but the time of year changes that as well. People move when school is out and when they move they sell things cheaper.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Lets break it down. In good condition, the 220 tank is prolly worth about $250. If the light(s) would support plants, I'd say $100...if only for viewing fish then $25-$50. The stand, if sturdy and in good shape $50~. So $500 is a top end price.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I came across a posting on Craigslist for a used 220 for $750. I was able to get the seller to lower their asking to $500. I am wondering if $500 is a good price for a 220 tank, stand and light fixture. The tank has been cared for and still is full of water but not fish. Was wondering what everyone's thoughts are.
Hi Daniel12490,

Every market is a little different, here in Seattle a dollar a gallon is a typical price for a used tank / light / stand unless it is extraordinary and has a lot of expensive "extras".
I tend to see/think/find the dollar per gallon rule really only applies for "standard" sized tanks up to about a 55 gallon (as thats how the stores handle it and you wont get anything larger than a 55 for $1/gallon nor will you get any "oddball" sized tanks for that cheap price either.) I believe a new 220 with all the goodies would be in the $1000 range easily from any of the stores. I'd personally feel pretty proud if I could get a 220 gallon (tank alone) in the $250 range....but I'm a cheapskate when it comes to buying used equipment lol.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I tend to see/think/find the dollar per gallon rule really only applies for "standard" sized tanks up to about a 55 gallon (as thats how the stores handle it and you wont get anything larger than a 55 for $1/gallon nor will you get any "oddball" sized tanks for that cheap price either.) I believe a new 220 with all the goodies would be in the $1000 range easily from any of the stores. I'd personally feel pretty proud if I could get a 220 gallon (tank alone) in the $250 range....but I'm a cheapskate when it comes to buying used equipment lol.
The $/gal up to 55gals is for NEW tanks. I would start with 50% for anything used (in impeccable condition). Much less if scratched etc.
Now for larger tanks, I'd agree with Seattle, a good starting point would be 1$/gal for the tank. If it isn't scratched or chipped etc.
Stand may or may not add to that significantly. If it is a regular store stand, and shows some signs of wear, I'd start with "would you throw that in for free?". Now if it is a hand-scraped Mahogany masterpiece, you'll have to decide what it is worth to you, whether it fits into your current room design, etc.
Used lights should also start at 50% of the original price, if in excellent condition. Filters, same, depending on the brand.

Not knowing exactly what comes with it I'd say $500 is a bit on the high side.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It amazes me how little you guys think stuff is worth.
Nothing has a true worth, except legal currency. "Worth" means different things to different people, and even then it depends on the circumstances. Many of us have tried to sell aquariums, only to find that buyers are only interested if it is a steal. But, I have sold a few tanks for what I thought was a lot more than they were worth.

If I wanted a 220 gallon, or similar size tank, and was going to get one regardless of the cost, I would be in seventh heaven if I could do so for $500, for a tank in excellent condition, with a stand in usable condition. The light would just be something I would probably have to throw away. So, if that was my circumstances, this tank would be well worth it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nothing has a true worth, except legal currency. "Worth" means different things to different people, and even then it depends on the circumstances. Many of us have tried to sell aquariums, only to find that buyers are only interested if it is a steal. But, I have sold a few tanks for what I thought was a lot more than they were worth.

If I wanted a 220 gallon, or similar size tank, and was going to get one regardless of the cost, I would be in seventh heaven if I could do so for $500, for a tank in excellent condition, with a stand in usable condition. The light would just be something I would probably have to throw away. So, if that was my circumstances, this tank would be well worth it.

Same here. But as a seller, you have to ride out the people who only want to buy if they can lowball you. A new 220 costs about a grand plus tax just for the tank. As you said, there are tons of variables. Good ole America for you, quantity before quality.

Like the post above "$1 per gallon for tank, stand, and light" so $220 for a 220, stand, and light. Lol. May as well just give it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Some things depreciate faster than others. The $1600 maxed out Dell Laptop that I got 6 years ago, plus 2 docking stations, upgraded fast and large SSD, all in perfect condition, would probably fetch 200-300 bux now. Yes, I should just give it away, realizing that it's current worth has nothing to do with what I (or my employer) paid for it.

Aquariums are different than technology. Still, in the end it doesn't matter much what it costs when it is new. It's worth what someone will pay for it. If you pay $750... than that's what it is worth! :wink2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some things depreciate faster than others. The $1600 maxed out Dell Laptop that I got 6 years ago, plus 2 docking stations, upgraded fast and large SSD, all in perfect condition, would probably fetch 200-300 bux now. Yes, I should just give it away, realizing that it's current worth has nothing to do with what I (or my employer) paid for it.

Aquariums are different than technology. Still, in the end it doesn't matter much what it costs when it is new. It's worth what someone will pay for it. If you pay $750... than that's what it is worth! :wink2:

Yeah I hear you on that one for sure.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The $/gal up to 55gals is for NEW tanks. I would start with 50% for anything used (in impeccable condition). Much less if scratched etc.
Now for larger tanks, I'd agree with Seattle, a good starting point would be 1$/gal for the tank.

Not knowing exactly what comes with it I'd say $500 is a bit on the high side.

50% of what though? The $1/gallon sale price that comes around every so often; or the normal, new (incredibly inflated for no good reason) price from the store?

I know things vary regionally, but $1/gallon for anything over 55 or maybe 75 gallons seems like a pipe dream to me....even when talking used prices for here in NY anyway. Of course that doesn't mean it isnt worth trying to offer any lowball figure you want! I'm amazed at how few people try to negotiate when I'm trying to sell something; and I'm just as amazed at how many sellers will take a low ball offer no questions asked when I'm trying to buy! I personally always ask for 2x as much as I'm willing to take assuming there will be some negotiation (from a craigslist ad anyway); and when there is no negotiation it just works out that much better for me!

Reactions: KC1994

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It amazes me how little you guys think stuff is worth.

I sold my 55 gallon with stand here locally for $60. You can't convince someone of the tank's integrity and the stand quality if they're not educated enough to know quality to begin with.

The stand BTW, was built from True-Temper Chrome-Moly bicycle frame tubing and black powder coated by a professional powder-coater. I paid $40+ dollars on the coating alone. I was working in a tandem bicycle frame building shop and the stand was my cross-training project. I TIG welded that stand, and the 55 gallon was recently purchased new.

I was initially asking $135. The only offer I ever got on that tank and stand for over 9 months on Craigslist was $60. It was ludicrous but I needed the cash. The invisible hand of the marketplace must have thought I deserved the middle finger, I'm guessing. :frown2:

I retrospect, I should have kept it...

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
50% of what though? The $1/gallon sale price that comes around every so often; or the normal, new (incredibly inflated for no good reason) price from the store?
50% of the $1/gal new price. So 50c/gal for used tanks. Again, this is for UP TO 55gal tanks.

I know things vary regionally, but $1/gallon for anything over 55 or maybe 75 gallons seems like a pipe dream to me....even when talking used prices for here in NY anyway.
Yep definitely need to make regional adjustments. Prolly double for NY.

Of course that doesn't mean it isnt worth trying to offer any lowball figure you want! I'm amazed at how few people try to negotiate when I'm trying to sell something; and I'm just as amazed at how many sellers will take a low ball offer no questions asked when I'm trying to buy! I personally always ask for 2x as much as I'm willing to take assuming there will be some negotiation (from a craigslist ad anyway); and when there is no negotiation it just works out that much better for me!
Yeah, depends on the items. I usually go about 20% over what I really want, and expect a low-baller to offer 20% less. 2x seems a bit excessive, but yeah, great if the buyer just pulls out the cash! >:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I sold my 55 gallon with stand here locally for $60. You can't convince someone of the tank's integrity and the stand quality if they're not educated enough to know quality to begin with.

The stand BTW, was built from True-Temper Chrome-Moly bicycle frame tubing and black powder coated by a professional powder-coater. I paid $40+ dollars on the coating alone. I was working in a tandem bicycle frame building shop and the stand was my cross-training project. I TIG welded that stand, and the 55 gallon was recently purchased new.

I was initially asking $135. The only offer I ever got on that tank and stand for over 9 months on Craigslist was $60. It was ludicrous but I needed the cash. The invisible hand of the marketplace must have thought I deserved the middle finger, I'm guessing. :frown2:

I retrospect, I should have kept it...

Geeze! Yeah sometimes when you need the cash you have to bite the bullet. I won't say I've never asked people if they would take less especially when I thought it was too high ( again this is personal opinion of worth ) but if all I get are low offers I try to hold onto things. Some years ago it wasn't as bad but nowadays you can expect to either get low balled or get spam. Kinda sad.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My bosses thought it was hilarious, paraphrasing.. "That's gotta be the lightest, strongest, and most precise fish tank stand ever made!" It weighed 27 pounds. It also survived the 1993 Scott's Mill earthquake with just some minor sloshing, We had our bed and dresser walk a few inches during that paint shaker.

Watching the potential buyer's eyes glaze over while you try to explain why that tank and stand should have sold for $135, it gets old pretty fast.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
The real truth I see in most hobby stuff is that we will pay high when excited and throw money at it until we are no longer excited. If one starts a hobby worried about the money, it is quite likely a good time to do something else like go back to work to get the money?
For tank values, I see a definite regional different as well as how far it is to a metro area. If you want to sell at a high price, a metro will have a far larger group of suckers. Look for broke college folks if you really want somebody to throw money around. They get excited and have to have it and then may set it out on the curb when they find it won't fit their car.
It's part of the "university experience"!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The real truth I see in most hobby stuff is that we will pay high when excited and throw money at it until we are no longer excited. If one starts a hobby worried about the money, it is quite likely a good time to do something else like go back to work to get the money?

For tank values, I see a definite regional different as well as how far it is to a metro area. If you want to sell at a high price, a metro will have a far larger group of suckers. Look for broke college folks if you really want somebody to throw money around. They get excited and have to have it and then may set it out on the curb when they find it won't fit their car.

It's part of the "university experience"!

Been there done that. I learned quick that when I really really wanted something to wait a day or two before buying. Saved myself a load of $.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The amount of people in your area that are in the market for a 220 gallon aquarium are most likely limited, to say the least. It is easier to sell a smaller tank than it is a larger one, unless the seller has some connections or affiliations.
I got my 150 gal for free, all I had to do was pick it up. He initially had it listed for 150 dollars, but had no takers, and he had to move across the country.
I was also offered a 220 gal drilled aquarium for free, but didn't have the space at the time and am kicking myself in the butt now.
It all depends on the situation.
How badly do you need the tank now, and how badly does the seller need to get rid of it. You will save yourself a lot of money if you can hold out for a while, I can promise you that.
Remember this is a hobby (money pit), not a necessity.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.