The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. It's been a little over a year since I first put plants in my 20 gallon tank. After a few upgrades I've grown to this 220 gallon (8x2x2). Originally there were 5 large predators along with the plants. It was a beauty but more work than I wanted. They would uproot plants on a daily basis.

Well I sold the monsters and have gone community. Although I miss the big guys my heart is more into the scaping and this is much easier when your plants stay where you put them.

Anyway here is the latest rendition. Still filling in the carpet but its coming along.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
if only my wife would let me sell the piano LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great tank.

What fish and other critters currently inhabit it?
-white clouds
-gold clouds
-zebra danios
-Tbone harlequins
-Gold neon tetras
-cardinal tetras
-marble hatchets
-Celestial Pearl danios
-blood fin tetras
-rummy nose tetras
-otos
-black neon tetras

I plan on starting a colony of neos but I need more cover for the shrimplets. I'm hoping to put some moss in there soon.

My major issue right now is BGA due to subpar CO2 levels. I have a DIY reactor but it doesnt seem to cut it. With an 8 foot tank I'm thinking I need 2 inline reactors feeding into both of my canister outtakes. Right now I only have one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is my problem area. So right now I have a power head and my X5 shooting across the top from the left. The flow moves to the right side where it cycles down and then across the bottom back to the left side. The CO2 is added inline from the right side and the outflow points down to hopefully drag the most CO2 rich water along the bottom.

Here are some photos.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Nice tank! I wish I had a larger house, that 10 foot wall was really too short for the 8 foot 180 gallon tank. Miss all that running room though. The black neons adored it. I guess the blood fins, black neons and rummy noses are having a really good time zooming back and forth, am I right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice tank! I wish I had a larger house, that 10 foot wall was really too short for the 8 foot 180 gallon tank. Miss all that running room though. The black neons adored it. I guess the blood fins, black neons and rummy noses are having a really good time zooming back and forth, am I right?
The tank has about 50+ fish and it is more alive than it has ever been. The (5) 12 inch fish in there previously would just hover around all day, until feeding time.

I would say the most active fish are the blood fins and the zebras. The rummy noses are the most shy but they have only been in the tank for 2 days so maybe they will come out of their shell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got done with a 3 day blackout to get rid of some BGA. Worked well. Been out of Phospho for a week now so it was a good time to do it. My Potassium Phosphate should arrive tomorrow. CO2 is still low. I need a second inline diffuser for my other canister filter. Poor at the moment so I'll have to deal for now. Still waiting on my Pumpkin Neos and getting antsy. Got a few Amanos and some sunkists but I never see any of the shrimp till water change day.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Wow I can only wish for a tank like that my wife wount let me build one but I do have or can get the materials to do it tho. That algae was thick, I don't think it's a battle when u have algae like that, it's a full blown war. Lol. Saweeeeeeeeeeet set up tho.

PS. I got some apongeton plants that would go great with that tank they are huge, also got a ton of ricca an moss, crypt spirals, jungle vals too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts