The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a new journal for the re-scaped 220-gallon. I had been using MGOPM capped with coarse sand in the previous set-up, and replanting every once in a while was a disaster. Not so much to cloud the water, but terrible enough to see dark soil sediments on top of tan sand...

Anyway, I am using Black Diamond Blasting Abrasive 20/40 grit this time. No soil underlayer, but I will be using Osmocote Plus root tabs around Cryptocoryne, Vallisnerias, and Staurogynes, and other root feeders.

So here is what we have: a 220-gallon full of plants, which over time lost its initial idea or order because I let a lot of species grow wherever there was space.

I am going to keep about 45 gallons of water from the old set-up, so I first put it aside before mudding the water. I also left about some 0.5" layer of water mixed with mud at the bottom of the tank, but removed anything solid, such as wood chips present in MGOPM.

The harvest.

And here is Black Diamond Blasting Abrasive 20/40 grit. I purchased six 50-lb bags of this at $7.99 at Tractor Supply.

The good news is I didn't have to wash Black Diamond at all (what a relief!). I just dumped it onto the aquarium and started filling with water. It's quite clean, and here is what the tank looks after filling.

And here is what the tank looks like couple hours later with plants.

Flora:
Alternanthera reineckii
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Bacopa australis
Blyxa japonica
Cryptocoryne beckettii
Cryptocoryne ciliata
Cryptocoryne crispulata balansae
Cryptocoryne hudoroi
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Hygrophila corymbosa 'Kompakt'
Hygrophila pinnatifada
Limnophila aquatica
Limnophila aromatica
Limnophila sp. 'Wavy'
Lobelia cardinalis
Ludwigia repens
Ludwigia sphaerocarpa
Lysimachina numularia aurea
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow Leaf'
Nymphea zenkeri
Rotala macrandra
Rotala rotundifolia
Staurogyne repens
Vallisneria spiralis 'Tiger'

I will likely be moving plants around, replacing some with other species, until I get to the point, where plants are best contrasted by both leaf shapes and color.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6'x2'x2,5' (LxWxH)

The biggest problem with both 220 and 265 is lighting. Unlike other tanks, they are deeper. Providing enough light so it sufficiently illuminates the bottom of the tank is challenging. If I had a choice now, I'd go for a 180-gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Day 75 - Time for farewell...

Just as the tank is getting established with all the plants nicely filling in that I have to tear it down and sell everything. We are moving. Not just moving, but relocating overseas. Man, it sucks to build such a huge tank and set-up everything, but not be able to see its best...

Anyway, here is a photo update:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Day 75 - Time for farewell...

Just as the tank is getting established with all the plants nicely filling in that I have to tear it down and sell everything. We are moving. Not just moving, but relocating overseas. Man, it sucks to build such a huge tank and set-up everything, but not be able to see its best...

Anyway, here is a photo update:

Awww man that sucks! :icon_frow

Tank looked great too!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts