The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All NEWB here.... I have whole house RO system. I also have well water - no city. I am still gathering all my equipment and setting this tank up. I also wanted to setup the tank with automatic water changing. Since i will have constant water changing - how would I remineralize the water. I am new and have no idea what chemicals (minerials?) to add or how (quantity).... I want to make sure the water is on point and automate as much as i can. Need to be pointed where I can research. I have you tubed but everyone seems to know the ratios etc... i dont.

It will be fully planted - C02 - Forest scape tank.

Michelle

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would start here, Water Parameters
I'd imagine it's easier to mineralize your stored water vs trying to dose constantly for the incoming water. Without more information, direct information, it's hard to give more detailed answers, so I would look here as well. Fertilizers

In fact, his site is a wealth of knowledge and I would read through it all if you can.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What you will want to do is have a separate tank where you remineralize the R/O water before it goes into the tank. I do not do automatic water changes, but I have a 35-gallon tank that I pump R/O to, then I remineralize. I use the water from that tank to do my water changes (I pump water up from the tank, which is located in the basement). For your setup, you would configure your pump to pull water from that tank as part of the automatic-water change system. You would also probably want to setup a low-level sensor in the "remineralized" tank so that you do not run your water-change pumps when you run low on remineralized water.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you - I need to start understanding all about this. I think the storage tank idea is the way to go. I have two 50 gallon rain barrels -

What you will want to do is have a separate tank where you remineralize the R/O water before it goes into the tank. I do not do automatic water changes, but I have a 35-gallon tank that I pump R/O to, then I remineralize. I use the water from that tank to do my water changes (I pump water up from the tank, which is located in the basement). For your setup, you would configure your pump to pull water from that tank as part of the automatic-water change system. You would also probably want to setup a low-level sensor in the "remineralized" tank so that you do not run your water-change pumps when you run low on remineralized water.
What do you use to remineralize your 35 gallon?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Given the possible low rejection rate of a whole house system, and possibly challenging source water, what works for one person may not work for another. Measuring the RO water, figuring out target parameters and then doing a little math is the best method.

I remin zero TDS RODI with very roughly 30ml Equilibrium and 15ml NaHCO3 per 25g water, filtered and heated at least overnight.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Like mentioned above storing water and remineralizing it is likely your best bet.

To add dGH you just need CaSO4 and MgSO4. You will need to choose what level of dGH you are targeting as well as the ratio of Ca to Mg. In general 4 to 8 dGH is fine for most tanks.

If you want to add some dKH, use either K2CO3 or KHCO3. Most plants prefer softer water so if you are going to add some dKH keep it on the low side. I would not use NaHCO3 as it adds sodium which you really don't want in a planted tank. Personally I don't add any carbonates and run my tank at zero dKH.

I keep two 55G barrels in the basement and pump it up to the tank. I also ran a drain line so water being pumped out of the tank is run to a basement drain. It's a good idea to have some circulation and/or aeration in the barrels, as well as a heater to boost the temp right before water changes.

Remember that a water change removes organics in the system, so larger is better.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like mentioned above storing water and remineralizing it is likely your best bet.

To add dGH you just need CaSO4 and MgSO4. You will need to choose what level of dGH you are targeting as well as the ratio of Ca to Mg. In general 4 to 8 dGH is fine for most tanks.

If you want to add some dKH, use either K2CO3 or KHCO3. Most plants prefer softer water so if you are going to add some dKH keep it on the low side. I would not use NaHCO3 as it adds sodium which you really don't want in a planted tank. Personally I don't add any carbonates and run my tank at zero dKH.

I keep two 55G barrels in the basement and pump it up to the tank. I also ran a drain line so water being pumped out of the tank is run to a basement drain. It's a good idea to have some circulation and/or aeration in the barrels, as well as a heater to boost the temp right before water changes.

Remember that a water change removes organics in the system, so larger is better.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Thank you for the response. This is the direction I am going to go. I have 2 barrels as well. Do you dose daily in those tanks?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Thank you for the response. This is the direction I am going to go. I have 2 barrels as well. Do you dose daily in those tanks?
I dose all macros up front into the holding tanks in a single dose after a water change. If I remove 70 gallons, I dose the new 70 gallons to a target. So the incoming water from the barrels is pre dosed with macros.

As to micros I make a custom solution and dose daily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts