The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Been awhile since I've been on here. I'm moving to a new house and will be replacing my 125 and upgrading to a 220 gal 72 X 24 X 30 tank. I've been running a low tech planted set up for several years now and it has been great. I want to go from a T8 light system to LED's, but not sure how to figure out how much light I need for this wider and taller tank. My 125 is 72X18X22 and I have two rows of T8's. I'd like to have a little more par than I have now, so I can try some more varieties of
plants. Most of what I have now are low light and I would like to try some in the medium light range.
Been looking at the Beamswork, Finnex... Would one fixture like this be enough light or do I need two rows of LED's? - Beamswork https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FS...8&qid=1500402617&sr=1-3&keywords=beamswork+72

Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
if it were me with that huge tank i would get a beamswork evo quad 3watt 72in. its a bit overkill for lowtech. but the nice thing is is each bank of 4 rows is individually switchable so even without a dimmer or controller you can tweak it. its 140 on ebay right now thru topdogsellers (normlly 200+)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
One of the things about LED lighting verses T5 or other fluorescent lighting is that LEDs tend to point straight down. This gives you a lot of light directly under the fixture but much less in other areas.

With LED strip lighting, you tend to get the bottom fairly will illuminated but the areas not under the fixture, toward the top of the tank, tend to be dark. When viewed from the end of the tank you get sort of an "A" pattern to the light. Inside the A is ok, but outside that area is dim.

This effect really bothers me, so I used two strip lights on my 90 gal planted tank. Since a 220 is even wider you might even want three. This isn't because you need the additional light. You want to spread the light out better at the surface. Because of this, you may want to get fixtures that are more controllable. That way you can back them down a bit.

Yea, I know LED fixtures are not cheep. You could start with one and then add as needed. Some people are not as fussy as I am when it comes to lighting.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I can't wait to see how your build goes. That tank sounds fabulous. I have not noticed the "A" pattern in my 50 gallon low tech tank, maybe it isn't as noticeable in the 48w x 18t x 12d I run an older Beamswork LED on timer. Being able to turn off or on with this beamswork evo quad 3watt sounds divine.
Brian

·
Registered
814 Posts
With LEDs, it depends on the lens on the diode. IIRC (I was absent from the hobby when this happened), a lot of the early LED fixtures had 90 degree lenses, whereas current fixtures have 120 degree lenses that lessen the effect. You can always raise the fixture to help there as well.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
you can pop the 90 degree lenses off the big Beamsworks..
diodes are lensed at 120..

w/ some work new better lenses can be added.. Not too difficult..
Unfortunately no OEM ones available except 90..

·
Registered
504 Posts
That said with the depth of the tank. I'd almost recommend having the lenses or go with a snakeyes fixture. 30inches is quite deep you need the focus to push thru that much water. As far as front and back fill. If you go with the quad fixture I recommended. You can raise it up so you get better coverage. This also has the bennificery of giving you a more even par thru out the water coloumn. I have a 120 (60x17x27) and I'll be hanging my light about 10 inches off the water for this reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any thoughts on the Beamswork DA 6500K .5W series the DA FSPEC .5W series? Thinking about starting with a pair of one or the other of these and see how it goes.

·
Registered
504 Posts
2 DA fspec or DA 6500k would prolly be fine. But that's 250 dollars vs 130. The Evo quad 3watt option would be for sure enough light. The former might be a bit dim for 30in deep tank.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Any thoughts on the Beamswork DA 6500K .5W series the DA FSPEC .5W series? Thinking about starting with a pair of one or the other of these and see how it goes.
I really like the DA 6500K, but its possible that I don't know any better. $220 for the lighting on a 220 gallon tank seems pretty inexpensive to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My thoughts exactly. Has anyone noticed a difference in plant growth between the DA 6500K vs the DA FSPEC. I would assume the 6500K spectrum would be slightly better for plant growth but the FSPEC 10,000K spectrum is a more "aesthetically pleasing" color temperature? Maybe not much difference with the actinic, green and red led's they have in both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts