·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently running a Tek Elite 4 light T5HO
Using pressurized CO2 and a CO2 reactor, all eco complete substrate

2x 6500k
2x roseate

Its on for maybe 7 hours in the day and the plants are pearling like crazy. The carpet plants HC(dwarf baby tears) are doing great but I dont see them spreading very fast. It spreads but barely moves in a week. Also have DHG, and is moving slowly, see new shoots, about 5 per week.

Previously I was using 2 Current Satellite Plus LED fixtures, and the HC was dying.

My question is: Does the Roseate light count towards the total wattage? It only gives the 650nm in the spectrum for Chlorophyll-B.

If it does count, wouldnt it just be better to switch to all 4 6500k bulbs?
I want to see the HC grow faster into a carpet.

From what I can tell, if you only count the 2x6500k bulbs, the plants are getting 1.9 WPG

Thoughts?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
In that case, your plants are almost certainly nutrient deficient with that much light.

You need to put together a balanced fert regimen. Despite the rather misleading name and label, "Flourish" is the name of Seachem's entire line of ferts, and "Comprehensive" is not even close to being comprehensive- it's mostly just trace and micros.

You need to start dosing nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K). Carbon (supplied here by your CO2) is the element plants need in the largest quantities, followed by NPK, and then micros and trace.

On a tank this size, I'd pick up a package of dry ferts rather than sticking with Seachem's line of liquid ferts- much much cheaper over the long run. If you do want to stick with Seachem, though, you'll need to pick up the "Enhancer Pack," and Seachem has a dosing chart on their website.

I recommend spending some time reading through the stickies at the top of the Water Parameters and Fertilization forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive been told about the PPS Pro pack and dosing with that.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/pps-pro-fertilizer-package.html

So, In addition to Flourish, id be dosing with the recommended amounts from the pro pack too?

Also, all of the plants seem to be growing very quickly. It's just the bottom plants that take their time. The bottom plants are very green and healthy and spreading. You're saying this could go faster with these ferts?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
PPS pro is a popular dosing stategy that many have been successful with. There are many diff regimens.

Eventually all of your plants will stall out and start showing some form of deficiency unless you provide them a "balanced diet" as it were. Especially with as much light as you are pumping into this tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im honestly not sure. I know the whole debate about ATI vs Coralife vs Aquatic life, but I was able to get 4 of them for $40 on [Ebay Link Removed] They seem to be unlabeled.

I read somewhere that red light will cause the plants to grow taller, and the blue part of the light causes them to be leafy and spread. I figured that if i switched them to 6500k, they would spread out more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.