The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the tank right now (planted today, so will grow out). It will be getting some more plants, the front will be almost all cover in dwarf sag. I have 9 roseline sharks and 5 Boesemani Rainbows in my buddy's tank while I had the tank down. Definitely keeping the roselines, not sure about rainbows.

What are some options. I have decided against discus (tough decision). I am thinking a school of smaller size fish like rummy nose or balloon red eye tetras (school amazingly well).

Do roselines eat shrimp?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
The tank is looking good! A big school of rummynose would look fantastic its hard to imagine how good it will look. Roselines are nice im glad your keeping them. And roselines will eat shrimp if it can fit in their mouth, so I wouldnt risk it.

You could get multiple pairs of rams. And how about angels

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually might try and get some (5-10) larger, cheaper shrimp (not ghost) and get them in the tank and established before adding the roselines. That way they may breed and get enough in there, plus with the plants and the larger foreground plants, stand a chance.

So rummynose or balloon red eye tetras and roselines.....what else? Should I go with some ottos or some type of plecos? If I go plecos, want them to stay under 6". I will get a couple nerite snails. Thinking of a coule rams and maybe a couple kribs. What else?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
A big shoal of ottos would be cool to see.

Do you have your eye on any south american cichlids? Or bigger gourami's?

·
Registered
343 Posts
First off, sweet tank, love the layout. Second, I'd do a huge school of tetras (50 or so) and a couple centerpiece fish (2 pairs of angels?).

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A big shoal of ottos would be cool to see.

Do you have your eye on any south american cichlids? Or bigger gourami's?
Ottos are cool. Had them before, and small enough to hang on any of the plants without weighing them down, like the jungle vals and even the dwraf sag. I do like plecos though too. Do some plecos eat algae and scavenge?

No angels, and maybe a gourami, not sure.

First off, sweet tank, love the layout. Second, I'd do a huge school of tetras (50 or so) and a couple centerpiece fish (2 pairs of angels?).
Thanks. I was thinking the same on the school of tetras, just haven't decided which of the two. Here is a link of the balloon lamp eye tetras. I mistakenly called them red eye, sorry)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq426pf7vWQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHYi73KcfCI

Again, no angels.

Looks like it is time to go browse a LFS or two. Sometimes just seeing them in person really helps.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The one thing I really like is the "community" feel. With a tank this size, there is plenty of room for territories, and hiding spots, and will the smaller fish, it looks like a "natural" area. That is kinda why I am sticking to smaller fishes. The roselines are there cause I just absolutely love those fish, plus I paid only $7 each (have 9 I think). That was way to good to pass up.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Only do the discus if you know you'd be committed otherwise you might regret it.
I recommend a lot of small fish that school and some angels.

Possibly do a variation of tetra species, to give diversity. Like the diff body shapes.
School of otos
School of Cory cats.
Than maybe an angel or two but add it last. And provided you don't do cardinal tetra.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Possibly do a variation of tetra species, to give diversity. Like the diff body shapes..
You think that balloon lamp eyes and rummy nose will look good, seeing I like both fish and won't have to choose? And if so, probably have to scale down the schools to 25ish each?

Rainbows are almost definitely not going back in. Letting my buddy keep him since he housed my fish when tank was torn down.

Do Corys need plant free substrate? I am not planning on having to many bare spots.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I actually might try and get some (5-10) larger, cheaper shrimp (not ghost) and get them in the tank and established before adding the roselines. That way they may breed and get enough in there, plus with the plants and the larger foreground plants, stand a chance.

So rummynose or balloon red eye tetras and roselines.....what else? Should I go with some ottos or some type of plecos? If I go plecos, want them to stay under 6". I will get a couple nerite snails. Thinking of a coule rams and maybe a couple kribs. What else?
If your looking for a Pleco Rubber Lips only get like 4 or 5 inches, I dont know though if the rosalines and Rams would be able to handle each other, ive heard Rosalines are Mildly Aggressive so i am not sure if they and Rams can work out

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Do Corys need plant free substrate? I am not planning on having to many bare spots.
They dont need a plant free substrate but they do need some areas where they can root around in the substrate. With my dwarf Sadg i planted them about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch apart to leave room for the corys to get in and root around and such

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your looking for a Pleco Rubber Lips only get like 4 or 5 inches, I dont know though if the rosalines and Rams would be able to handle each other, ive heard Rosalines are Mildly Aggressive so i am not sure if they and Rams can work out
Never had an issue with roselines before, so hoping for the same. Since the tank is big, I am thinking there should be enough area for some of the fish to have their own little territories.

Also, what about clown plecos or bristlenose?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Any dwarf cichlids? There are lots from both South America and West Africa to choose from.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any dwarf cichlids? There are lots from both South America and West Africa to choose from.
Dropped in two German blue rams. All my tests gave the clear for fish, so we shall see. Making sure it works out before bringing my roselines back, plus any others that I will purchase.

Still welcome to ideas.

Plans so far (nothing really changed, just writing down to see easier):

Roselines - 9 (cause I already own them)
German Blue Rams - 2
Rummynose Tetras or Balloon Lamp Eye Tetras - Approx 50-75
Going to try shrimp - Amano Shrimp - ?
Ottos or plecos - ?

I feel like something is missing.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Also, what about clown plecos or bristlenose?
I've never heard of or seen clown PLeco's but i think Bristlenose get fairly large, but don't take my word on that, it could very well be wrong, also keep in mind the larger the fish the more waste it produces, but i think in your tank there wouldnt be an issue

·
Registered
266 Posts
You will never see the clow pleco if you get one, all they do is stay holed up in their secret hiding spot in the driftwood. They are fairly pricey as well so I would get a bristlenose. I find that they are usually out during the day and doing something, or cleaning something. Regular bristlenoses are usually about 5" max while some of the variants like albinos are only 3- 4".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts