The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have redone my tank a few times. This time between having ankle reconstruction and a kid, my upkeep slipped, and then we replaced flooring. So basically I am starting over. I have done the community tank, and done the large fish such as datnoids.

At this point, looking for fish ideas before plants and decor, cause those will depend on the fish.

Any ideas?

Tank - 210 gallon, Eheim 2180 and Fluval FX5. Have a 20 lb CO2 tank and the rest of that set up.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
That would be a terrific discus tank but if I ever went low tech and could curb my collectoritis tendencies I would like to go with an eartheater tank. Sand substrate, big tangle of wood and rocks planted with epiphytes. Since there is lots of wood some plecos would be a good addition with your choice of medium to larger tetras for dither/schooling fish.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How about a huge school of microfish such as Sparkling Gouramis, Endler's Livebearers, or Celestial Pearl Danios? Those are all shrimp safe so you could also grow quite a colony in with them as well.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be a terrific discus tank but if I ever went low tech and could curb my collectoritis tendencies I would like to go with an eartheater tank. Sand substrate, big tangle of wood and rocks planted with epiphytes. Since there is lots of wood some plecos would be a good addition with your choice of medium to larger tetras for dither/schooling fish.
Aren't discus more difficult? Leaning towards low maintenance.

How about a huge school of microfish such as Sparkling Gouramis, Endler's Livebearers, or Celestial Pearl Danios? Those are all shrimp safe so you could also grow quite a colony in with them as well.
Hmm.....kinda like that idea. Where would I go to get that quantity of fish? And how many?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holly crap, little fish are expensive! I like the Celestial Pearl Danios, but that would be $$$ for a large school. I would settle for a smaller school of tetras for less.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You could find them much cheaper from a breeder, they go for a premium because they're hard to find as stores can't make a profit off such tiny fish (about 1/5th the mass of a rasbora). There are many other varieties as well, I just listed the three most common.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely going to have to shop around if I go this route. What are some tank mates for these guys other than shrimp and snail?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple things I am looking at:

Rummy nose tetras - What is a good size school for a 210, but allowing room for some other tank mates? Are they small enough to have shrimp?

Cardinal or neon tetras - What is a good size school for a 210, but allowing room for some other tank mates?

Sparkling Gouramis - What is a good size school for a 210, but allowing room for some other tank mates?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
As Kathyy said, Mike, your tank would make for a superb discus display tank, and the maintenance would not be 'overload' if you got near-adult sized discus, say 8 of them, if your wallet allowed that.
And there would be quite a wide range of compatible discus tank-mates you could keep with them @ the higher discus temps.
Should you be prepared to consider that, I'd be more than happy to help out with any information you might wish.

·
Registered
33 Posts
you should totally include cardinal tetra into you fish list! they always look amazing in a group. but be careful cause they may get aggressive sometimes

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
planted discus or altum angel
+1, go for the altum

large fish tank needs large fish. Only if your tank focus on extreme scape and use the school of tiny fish as decoration, you can go with the small fish.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As Kathyy said, Mike, your tank would make for a superb discus display tank, and the maintenance would not be 'overload' if you got near-adult sized discus, say 8 of them, if your wallet allowed that.
And there would be quite a wide range of compatible discus tank-mates you could keep with them @ the higher discus temps.
Should you be prepared to consider that, I'd be more than happy to help out with any information you might wish.
Hmm...Have to look into this discus thing. I have always liked the pics of tanks with them, but never got into it cause I heard they were hard to keep.

Sorry, but for some reason, angels do not appeal to me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts