The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am going to get into this hobby again, I am doing it right! I still have my 210 gal tank, and it always has been great with room for hardscapes, etc. So I have decided that I want this this tank to shine, and to have it feel "natural", so want to do a 3d background. Yes, they sell a couple on-line, but dead water space, trying to get filter equipment through, and just the cost alone, that is out of the question. I plan on making my own, and have looked at tons of videos of people doing this, although most are much smaller tanks. Now while I can to rocks and whatnot, I am looking into at least one tree trunk, maybe some other "wood" as well. Again, size is actually hurting me here, I need big. Thinking tree trunk,almost to the ground, and root structures.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this? Use real wood ? building pots into wall? Ideas for wall (stone face?).

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
typically DIY 3d backgrounds are made with layers of styrofoam carved out to look like rock. I suppose if you're artistic enough you might be able to pull off something that looks like a tree trunk. But I'd opt for some actual driftwood to make that aspect of it. Then you have to decide if a tree trunk in front of a rock wall is really the natural look you're going for? Its kind of opposite ends of the spectrum in my opinion. If it were my tank I'd be looking at painting a solid background color and working with driftwood and other hardscape ideas for the tank itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.