The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't get it. My parameters all fall in line With everybody's advice and I still keep losing shrimp in the 10 gallon tank. I just got 6 nice Blues from a local LFS and they're all gone in a week. Out of the 2 broods of Cherries I had, there are only about 10-15 juvies left. I have 1 Bee and 2 "Black Cherries" left out of 4 of each. The Bee is finally saddled and now I don't even have a mate for her. I can grow snails reall well...:icon_roll :angryfire

Tommy

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't get it. My parameters all fall in line With everybody's advice and I still keep losing shrimp in the 10 gallon tank. I just got 6 nice Blues from a local LFS and they're all gone in a week. Out of the 2 broods of Cherries I had, there are only about 10-15 juvies left. I have 1 Bee and 2 "Black Cherries" left out of 4 of each. The Bee is finally saddled and now I don't even have a mate for her. I can grow snails reall well...:icon_roll :angryfire

Tommy
Please tell us what your official water parameters are... ph, temp, etc.

·
Registered
670 Posts
also list tap parameters?
how ofter you do water changes?
Tank mates?
Planted I assume?
Foods?
Do you use meds? salt? co2?
Anything else about your tank you can tell us. How soon after adding them are they dieing? How are you acclimating them?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
1. High % of shrimp from LSF that are wild caught like the blues will die.
2. Ammonia spike because overfeeding is not detectable. You might be feeding too much.
3. List your parameters, ph, kh, gh, nitrates, nitrites, temperature, water change frequency.
4. Is it tap water, well, water, RO water?
5. Do you use a water softener
6. how long has your tank been setup?
7. what brand of food do you use?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Has the tank you are using ever have any kind of medicines in it that contains copper? Most medicine for Ick contains copper. If so this might be the problem if all your water parameters are in check. copper will stay in the tank or on decorations. Just a thought :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
hey man I was the same way with shrimp in my 10g I couldn't keep them alive I've bought from multiple sources and still all dead. but now all mine are now berried and soon to have babies. wanna know what saved me. I cleaned out my 30g and used it for shrimp only. some told me the larger the tank the more room for error you have ;)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Here's a breif run down on my situation:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp/45957-has-anybody-else-noticed.html#post408990

I'd would like to know what the issue is---but I don't think I am going to figure it out.

hey man I was the same way with shrimp in my 10g I couldn't keep them alive I've bought from multiple sources and still all dead. but now all mine are now berried and soon to have babies. wanna know what saved me. I cleaned out my 30g and used it for shrimp only. some told me the larger the tank the more room for error you have ;)
It was a 29g tank with less than 100 RCS at any given time. They would saddle, berry and reproduce---but I still got die-offs. The tank was planted.

Perhaps you have copper piping that's leaching into the water.
In my case I don't think that was it. The only copper plumbing that I have is with the Hot water heater. I got die-offs even when I only used cold water.

Maybe Tommy has copper plumbing though....Tommy?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here's a breif run down on my situation:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp/45957-has-anybody-else-noticed.html#post408990

I'd would like to know what the issue is---but I don't think I am going to figure it out.

It was a 29g tank with less than 100 RCS at any given time. They would saddle, berry and reproduce---but I still got die-offs. The tank was planted.

In my case I don't think that was it. The only copper plumbing that I have is with the Hot water heater. I got die-offs even when I only used cold water.

Maybe Tommy has copper plimbing though....Tommy?
I don't know what it is but I used prime for 2 years with no problem. Then I cleaned my guppy tank ( 400+ guppies) I stuck the prime in their and within seconds they went haywire. I ended up having over 60 of my guppies die before I could remove them to another tank, yes all of them :(
I talked to Seachem and they said to make sure you really shake the prime bottle before you use it and to only put a little in at a time as you are putting the water back in. They also said to have good water circulation when using prime. I never had a problem the way I always did it but this time I did. I would normally change 20 gallons in my 55 gallon and as I am putting the water back in I would dose 2 ML of the prime for the 20 gallons. Now I get the water going in and put about 1/4 ML of prime wait for 10 gallons to go in the tank and then dose another 1/4 ML and so on. I really think it had something to do with Prime's chemicals separating and if not shacked really good that you end up only getting one certain chemical and that is hurting the inhabitants of the tank. Just a thought :)

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I feel ya, Tommy. I've given up on shrimp for now....Too many other things to worry about anyway. Personally, I think its my tap water, so I may give them a try again in RO water. Very Frustrating for me.Hang in There......:proud:
My Tank's also a shrimp killer.
My plants never looked better,
my fish as happy as can be,
but shrimp never last more
than a few weeks with me :icon_sad:
so I just gave up on them.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
My Tank's also a shrimp killer.
My plants never looked better,
my fish as happy as can be,
but shrimp never last more
than a few weeks with me :icon_sad:
so I just gave up on them.
Oh, NYC got some awful water. The piping has got to be over 100 years old.
I lived in Williamsburg, Brooklyn for a few years and once in a while I get brown water straight from the tap. I spent lots of money on bottled water, that's for sure.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I can relate and feel your pain. I'm not having much luck with CRS, though (crossing fingers) cherries are doing fine. I even have some amano's in another tank fine, just the stinkin' CRS (and of course I like these the best!). :help: :angryfire

Tina

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi everyone! I just signed up here. I am an official assistant at the petfish.net Shrimp forum and have been breeding red cherry shrimp for over a year.

Original poster, in addition to the info the other people requested, here is other stuff we need:

1. Do you use Ammo Lock? It messes up your ammonia tests giving you false positives.

2. Do you use Prime? May cause problems in some tanks. My personal theory: Prime combines with some unknown chemical to make a chemical toxic for shrimp. 2 other people on Petfish, both who use Prime, also have problems with shrimp. That's why I use the KISS method.

3. Do you use test strips? These expire after 6 months of being opened. They may give you false readings after expiration. Use drop tests instead.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Hi everyone! I just signed up here. I am an official assistant at the petfish.net Shrimp forum and have been breeding red cherry shrimp for over a year.

Original poster, in addition to the info the other people requested, here is other stuff we need:

1. Do you use Ammo Lock? It messes up your ammonia tests giving you false positives.

2. Do you use Prime? May cause problems in some tanks. My personal theory: Prime combines with some unknown chemical to make a chemical toxic for shrimp. 2 other people on Petfish, both who use Prime, also have problems with shrimp. That's why I use the KISS method.

3. Do you use test strips? These expire after 6 months of being opened. They may give you false readings after expiration. Use drop tests instead.
what's the KISS method.. And I use aquaSafe and things are fine.
You guys have to watch out for chloramines. Chlorine is easy to get rid of.

Google your local water chemistry. I'm lucky, the water here is decent & they use chlorine instead of chloramine.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I talked to Seachem and they said to make sure you really shake the prime bottle before you use it and to only put a little in at a time as you are putting the water back in. They also said to have good water circulation when using prime. I never had a problem the way I always did it....
Shake Prime? Sheesh, that's not on the Bottle! I just checked a 500ml and 2L bottle and its nowhere on there. If we need to shake it--they need to let us know. Guess I'll put up a post on their forums.

I lost 2 cory cats a week or so ago after a water change--haven't seen them since. Of course this is a Tap water tank that hasn't been converted over yet.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
planted low tech
nitrates 5
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
ph 7.4
Gh 0
Kh aroiund 6
Copper tests 0
I'm not overfeeding, I'm barely feeding. I can keep shrimp in my 58 forever until the Discus eat them, they just don't do well in the 10 gallon shrimp only tank.

The last 2 deaths were the day after a 35% H2O change. Prime is used, as is Stability to try to keep nitrates down as I aaoriginally had high nitrates and thought that was the problem.

??????

Tommy
I quit!:icon_wink

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very odd you can't even keep RCS alive in them parameters.
Yer not kiddin'. I've never had so much trouble trying to keep any kind of livng thing, even "rare, hard to keep" fish. :icon_ques

Tommy

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.