The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learned so much in the last 3 weeks. Endless YouTube videos, tutorials, literature..... all I have to say is, if you don’t have one already, get a twinstar nano get one! Also, use RO water and seachem equilibrium and be generous with your dosing of beneficial/nitrifying bacteria supplements. I went through the new tank syndrome but it came and went quick. Had a small diatom/brown algae bloom and RO water/TDS reduction did its magic. After 21 days of daily maintenance, water tests, and adjustments I am in nirvana with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 130 ppm tds, and my plants are growing like weeds! This is the best feeling in the world. Can’t wait to look back 3 months from now and marvel at the evolution of this tank! Would love to hear some suggestions on how to improve my plantscape :) any species of plants you guys would recommend?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Learned so much in the last 3 weeks. Endless YouTube videos, tutorials, literature..... all I have to say is, if you don’t have one already, get a twinstar nano get one! Also, use RO water and seachem equilibrium and be generous with your dosing of beneficial/nitrifying bacteria supplements. I went through the new tank syndrome but it came and went quick. Had a small diatom/brown algae bloom and RO water/TDS reduction did its magic. After 21 days of daily maintenance, water tests, and adjustments I am in nirvana with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, 130 ppm tds, and my plants are growing like weeds! This is the best feeling in the world. Can’t wait to look back 3 months from now and marvel at the evolution of this tank! Would love to hear some suggestions on how to improve my plantscape :) any species of plants you guys would recommend?
Your tank looks great, I dont think you need any plant recommendations.
What you do need is some Nitrates. Your plants were growing off the ammonia from your start up. Now that its gone they're going to need some ferts!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job! I think it looks pleasing to the eye. I like the look of the tunnel/bridge. It works well slightly off-center like you have it.

Any reason why you use 2 drop checkers?
Nice job! I think it looks pleasing to the eye. I like the look of the tunnel/bridge. It works well slightly off-center like you have it.

Any reason why you use 2 drop checkers?
Thanks @MrGoodkat! I am starting another tank today so I stuck an extra one into this one haha! Too excited to gear up so I started by filling up a drop checker and throwing it into some water hahaha

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your tank looks great, I dont think you need any plant recommendations.
What you do need is some Nitrates. Your plants were growing off the ammonia from your start up. Now that its gone they're going to need some ferts!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
Thanks @mboley! I am dosing Niloc G Thrive Plus three times a week and adding a little extra Seachem iron to bring out some color. Added some Alternanthera Rosanervig into the mid ground and Rotala H'ra in the background today for some contrast in the scape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.