The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this 20 long back in June. I have changed the scape a few times.

For reference here is the tank at various states:

The tank as it is today feels unfinished. I am having trouble fingering what exactly feels off and could use some suggestions.

There are currently 2 pieces of driftwood in the tank. The center piece and the right side piece leaning on the center piece.

Criticism and feedback is welcomed, please help me scape my tank! :icon_roll

·
Registered
559 Posts
well, it looks to me that there is a lack of a focal point and the plants arent being used at their maximum potential. for example the plant that is currently growing at the center would make an excellent background plant in my opinion, but instead it is growing somewhere in the mid-ground and even over the driftwood piece, which detracts from the wood. moving it to the background would also give your tank a sense of depth. likewise, smaller plants should move up to the front of the tank. and medium sized plants should be at center stage.

try to also find compliments in your plants morphology and color and pair them together...for example, i find that the blades of a bright green java fern go well when paired with the dark leaves of an african bolbitis, and the even brighter green leaves of an anubias.

at the same time try and keep like things with like, for example the stemmed plants would make a much more dramatic scene when closely bunched together, rather than having one stem here or there. nature seems to keep things in bunches (http://wallpapers.free-review.net/wallpapers/42/Meadow_Valley.jpg), so it might not be a bad thing to emmulate? ;)

your hardscape looks good. you just need to arrange your plants and work to compliment it. best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, it looks to me that there is a lack of a focal point and the plants arent being used at their maximum potential. for example the plant that is currently growing at the center would make an excellent background plant in my opinion, but instead it is growing somewhere in the mid-ground and even over the driftwood piece, which detracts from the wood. moving it to the background would also give your tank a sense of depth. likewise, smaller plants should move up to the front of the tank. and medium sized plants should be at center stage.

try to also find compliments in your plants morphology and color and pair them together...for example, i find that the blades of a bright green java fern go well when paired with the dark leaves of an african bolbitis, and the even brighter green leaves of an anubias.

at the same time try and keep like things with like, for example the stemmed plants would make a much more dramatic scene when closely bunched together, rather than having one stem here or there. nature seems to keep things in bunches (http://wallpapers.free-review.net/wallpapers/42/Meadow_Valley.jpg), so it might not be a bad thing to emmulate? ;)

your hardscape looks good. you just need to arrange your plants and work to compliment it. best of luck.
Thanks for the remarks! I have to agree, the hygro belongs in the back. It started on the left side but continually grew towards the center and overtook the driftwood. I let it go as it was interesting to see the root system develop and wrap around the driftwood. However now it has taken away from the beauty of the tank.

Bunching is another good suggestion, I struggle with bunching too closely and spreading out to let grow in.

I'm going to think through this for a few more days, Ill post some updates in the future once I make some changes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts