The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the exact day of June, 06 2013... I became an addict...
...A Buce addict, hence the title... ;)

:help:

My very first Bucephalandra I pulled out of the oven was a tasty one...
Bucephalandra sp. 'Brownie Red'.

(Picture is 3 months of growth)

I just can't find a way to stop myself from collecting species, even when I know I don't room! :bounce:

Anyways.. Enough of my boring story and lets get down to BUCEness (business), alright I'll stop with the puns.. :proud:

Tank:
20L Aqueon

Filtration:
HOB Aqueon

Lighting:
30' Finnex FugeRay LED
*Custom 3" Finnex Leg Extenders (Built by TPT member Fuze)*

Co2: - This

Ferts: None

Hardscape:
20lb EcoComplete
2L scattered AquaSoil

Fauna:
Honey Dwarf Gouramis
6 otto's
2-3 calico bushy nose

Flora:
Buce sp. 'Brownie Red'
Buce sp. 'Brownie Yellow'
Buce sp. 'Brownie Ghost'
Buce sp. 'Brownie Jande'
Buce sp. 'Silver Powder'
Buce sp. 'Pink Centipede'
Buce sp. 'Pink Bilbis'
Buce sp. 'Purple Leaf'
Buce sp. 'Kir Adonis'
Buce sp. 'Lagoon Mini'
Buce sp. 'Kapuas Hulu'
Buce sp. 'Antyovani #2'
Buce sp. 'Kedegang'
Buce sp. 'Kudagan'
Buce sp. 'Icarus Bell'
Buce sp. 'Icarus Velvet'
Buce sp. 'Theia 3'
Buce sp. 'Theia Big Leaf'
Buce sp. 'Mini Catharine'
Buce sp. 'Shiny Blue'
Buce sp. 'Super Bue'

Mosses:
Flame Moss
Mini Pellia

Anubias:
Anubias sp. 'Snow White'
Anubias sp. 'Variegated/Marbled'

FTS: 03/12/14

03/04/14

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
early farming days

Heres a quick timeline in the past year of this tank:

First Buce sp. Brownie Red:

Early farming stages:

Anubias sp. Nana 'Variegated' showcasing half white/green leaves :icon_mrgr:

some shoot just solid white leaves:

first baby variegated :drool:

How plants with no roots got tied down:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
labeling

HOW THE HECK DO YOU NOT LOSE TRACK OF EACH SPECIES?

Yes, I tied each plant individually onto lava rock.. but heres the thing... I labeled the underside with its species name! :hihi:

TOP:

Bottom:

now theres no way in losing species name in a 10+ species tank :red_mouth

this took some tedious time... but its all worth it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
They look great Mike! So so jealous! Definitely my favorite plant species! So many beautiful variations!! Keep up the good work and look forward to hearing from you in the future :)

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
HOW THE HECK DO YOU NOT LOSE TRACK OF EACH SPECIES?

Yes, I tied each plant individually onto lava rock.. but heres the thing... I labeled the underside with its species name! :hihi:

TOP:

Bottom:

now theres no way in losing species name in a 10+ species tank :red_mouth

this took some tedious time... but its all worth it.

that's exactly how I label my 25 species. I label them with number or letter and then print out all the names with the number or letter next to the name. This way works better for me. LOL

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was able to grab some Buce from a friend in CT. It didn't handle the transisiton and travel well. It died-hard like Buce Willis.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
So I always wondered, what makes Buces so expensive? whats special about them? besides the fact that they look good?
You said it yourself. They look good. Anytime new plants come into the hobby that are unique and never seen, they enter expensive. But in addition to this all buces come from exotic places like Malaysia, Borneo so you can't exactly go into a street side ditch and find these. This coupled with the fact that most of the original specimens found in the hobby were actually "wild collected" plants, you can see how the price could quickly escalate. What I personally think keeps them higher priced now is: #1. Thy are still a rarety in the hobby. #2. The original buces when they first were introduced cost 80-100$ a piece so they actually have dropped in price dramatically. And #3. The price stays the same because of supply and demand. There are no major plant farms producing buces that I'm aware of and as such, it's strictly a hobbyist to hobbyist plant which means that the demand will stay high since it isn't mass produced. And these plants are slower growers. Lastly #4. I personally feel as if it's an unwritten rule amongst hobbyists and retail people in general that when you buy somethin that you can turn around and sell later on, you should sell it at a similar price range to keep the market value consistent. It's sort of a "nice" thing to do to protect the investment of the original purchasers who spent hundreds of $ on plants. (I know some might disagree on this last point, but it's just my humble opinion) eventually as more people acquire te plant the price will drop on its own due to supply and demand anyway.....

On a side note:
Mike, I'm gellin on the inside, buce sense is tingling lol. One day when I finally upgrade, I'll be messaging you! They all look beautiful my friend. Which is your favorite "species"?
Joshua

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They look great Mike! So so jealous! Definitely my favorite plant species! So many beautiful variations!! Keep up the good work and look forward to hearing from you in the future :)

Stop being jealous and start your own collection :icon_bigg hehe
So many still needed to be collected!

For sure , I'll hit you up!

Cool thread from the future :icon_cool
Future project?

that's exactly how I label my 25 species. I label them with number or letter and then print out all the names with the number or letter next to the name. This way works better for me. LOL
25 species? We might have to do some exchanging, if you don't have any of the ones I already have :p

I was able to grab some Buce from a friend in CT. It didn't handle the transisiton and travel well. It died-hard like Buce Willis.
:icon_lol:

Looks like you gotta give it another shot!

Amazing looking tank and specimens. Subscribed

Thanks!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I always wondered, what makes Buces so expensive? whats special about them? besides the fact that they look good?

Joshua nailed it.

Lastly #4. I personally feel as if it's an unwritten rule amongst hobbyists and retail people in general that when you buy somethin that you can turn around and sell later on, you should sell it at a similar price range to keep the market value consistent. It's sort of a "nice" thing to do to protect the investment of the original purchasers who spent hundreds of $ on plants. (I know some might disagree on this last point, but it's just my humble opinion) eventually as more people acquire te plant the price will drop on its own due to supply and demand anyway.....

On a side note:
Mike, I'm gellin on the inside, buce sense is tingling lol. One day when I finally upgrade, I'll be messaging you! They all look beautiful my friend. Which is your favorite "species"?
Joshua
I strongly agree with that bro.
And thanks for summing it up!

Side note:
Hahaha. For sure hmu.

Favorite... Gotta go with brownie red, pink centipede, kir adonis, green/dark Achilles, mini catharine, silver powder, brownie ghost.... This question sucks.. Haha

I honestly love each individual one for their unique characteristics lol...

You??

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Researching/Observing Sp. Achilles

Been hearing lots of different things about this particular one if it's submergable or not.

When typical people sell them, they come in emersed form:
(Not my photo)

Almost on any aquatic plant, emersed leaves with melt away and out pops it's submerged leaves.

When I received my dark Achilles, it looked like the picture above...

After submerging it for a few months, emersed leaves melted off and out popped it's submerged leaves:

I know bucephalandras plants are new, but the Achilles have been finally able to go around to other members and not much research have been done on this specific species.

If anyone can add anything to this, please feel free to do so.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dang! That Achilles is something else. Hey man I know I was supposed to swing by, but I wasn't thinking straight. I have had a ton of tests right before spring break. I will definitely head over sometime during the break. Did the driftwood arrive? I need driftwood and Buce! Will stop in the store tomorrow, peace.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Awesome setup!!! I've recently been bitten by the buce bug. Your collection is quite impressive (not just the buces!). I love that your "farming" them. These plants are amazing and we need more in the hobby to share with everyone! :D Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing your progess!

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Been hearing lots of different things about this particular one if it's submergable or not.

When typical people sell them, they come in emersed form:
(Not my photo)

Almost on any aquatic plant, emersed leaves with melt away and out pops it's submerged leaves.

When I received my dark Achilles, it looked like the picture above...

After submerging it for a few months, emersed leaves melted off and out popped it's submerged leaves:

I know bucephalandras plants are new, but the Achilles have been finally able to go around to other members and not much research have been done on this specific species.

If anyone can add anything to this, please feel free to do so.

same thing happen to my dark Achilles & green achilles. The one mark with circle is Green achilles. All other buces doing well.
dark archilles doing better and I can see new growth. geen archilles got all the leaves melted. Not sure if it can recover back. :icon_cry:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dang! That Achilles is something else. Hey man I know I was supposed to swing by, but I wasn't thinking straight. I have had a ton of tests right before spring break. I will definitely head over sometime during the break. Did the driftwood arrive? I need driftwood and Buce! Will stop in the store tomorrow, peace.
David

It's cool, I'll shoot you a text.
Yuppp woods in! Large pallet so tons to choose from .
See yuh bro

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome setup!!! I've recently been bitten by the buce bug. Your collection is quite impressive (not just the buces!). I love that your "farming" them. These plants are amazing and we need more in the hobby to share with everyone! :D Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing your progess!
Thank you thank you. Just trying to help the community out.
Thanks for the compliment

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
same thing happen to my dark Achilles & green achilles. The one mark with circle is Green achilles. All other buces doing well.
dark archilles doing better and I can see new growth. geen archilles got all the leaves melted. Not sure if it can recover back. :icon_cry:

As long as your rhizome is solid I think it should bounce back. Very interesting, thanks for the pic. Would you say the new growth is tinier / rounder leaves?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts