Current Shot 08/06/2013

The boring stuff:

Tank: 20L
Light: Ray2 Led
Filter: Sunsun 302
Co2: pressurized w/ Cerges
Heater: Eth inline
Substrate: ADA AS II
Hardscape: Manzy (might add rocks, still deciding)
Stand: $30 craigslist dresser converted lol (I'll post pics of this when it's finished)

Current plant plan:
-definite
HC
Downoi
Needle leaf java fern
Fissidens
-possible
L. Aromatica
L. Glandulosa or similar red splash
who knows what else

This all started nearly a year ago derimming a 20L

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=190055&highlight=

then a lot of :sleep:

now I have nearly everything in hand after a year of slowly accumulating.

Only other pic I feel is worth sharing at the moment is the piece of driftwood I got in the mail today. Thanks Soup12!

A few different angles just for show. I might cut it into two pieces and scape from there.

anyway... still building and tinkering. DSM should start within a week. ( waited a year to get this far, why not lol)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Getting excited. Almost done with my ghetto stand, so I should be able to toy around with an actual scape this evening if all goes well.

Went and had a good romp in a friend's creek bed for rocks. Found some really interesting stuff. Hopefully, I can do it justice. I have to get a scape set before Sunday at the latest, as I'm heading to pick up plants for the dry start.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well that backs up what I was feeling as well. I've been playing around with it in the tank this last week, moving it around, creating hills and stuff and leaving it in the tank for a day so I can see it as I walk through the room. Variances of that position are the most striking in person.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Preliminary scape ideas.

Opinions?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still not done scaping, but I got the stand pretty much done and the light bar attached. Still gotta clean the stickers off (didn't notice that til I looked at the pic lol)

Should be picking up plants to start DSM on Tuesday so I have to get this scape figured out soon!

[/URL]

[/URL]

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The DSM begins! I finally settled on a scape. I'm not the most artistic, but you get what you get right? ;)

Here's the bare scape

A local club member was pulling the entire foreground from his 150 so I... bought it lol. Took me forever to go through and pick the HC out of the MM, mosses, UG, etc, but I ended up with SO MUCH HC. The right bucket is all Fissidens, middle is HC, left is everything else I didn't use.

Here's shots of it after planting the HC. You can tell that halfway through I realized how much HC there was and stopped trying to plant in tiny clumps. Some of it is planted like 2 pots worth at a time.

left

right

my favorite spot down the middle. Once the plants fill in around, I think it might actually make a nice forced perspective area.

Here it is after adding the fissidens to the wood. Full tank shot, as it were.

Now here's hoping I don't do as bad with this DSM as I did with my last one O_O. If I kill off this much HC, I deserve some sort of noob of the year award.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my way out the door this morning I noticed white mold in the tank! Its on the driftwood where it meets the substrate. Its not touching any plants but I'd like a plan for if it does.

Peroxide?
Excel?
Some sort of antibiotic?
Proven suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I can get pics tonight after work if needed for id purposes

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Expect that it will reach the plants, and it will move faster than you are expecting. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Don't use excel, as it melted ALL of my HC when I used it. Peroxide would help, but might not be 100% effective. It's worth a try. Mold is a fungus, so you'd use an anti-fungal not an antibiotic.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Should I just look in the gross foot section? :p
Ha! I had some fast moving mold during the DSM of my fallen tree branch tank in my sig. I quickly flooded the tank, and that didn't kill it. I kept treating with peroxide, water changes, and excel after I flooded it, and that didn't stop it. It kept killing my plants, even under water. I finally used API's anti fungal (which turned my tank neon green for 2 days), but it worked. It killed every last bit of mold everywhere. Now my tank is happy. :)

I have no idea how that stuff would work during DSM.

·
Registered
461 Posts
On my way out the door this morning I noticed white mold in the tank! Its on the driftwood where it meets the substrate. Its not touching any plants but I'd like a plan for if it does.

Peroxide?
Excel?
Some sort of antibiotic?
Proven suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I can get pics tonight after work if needed for id purposes

Presence of mold indicates too much water.. let it dry out a little bit, I used a mixture of KH2PO4 and water for the misting, that seems to keep the mold away.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The mold is where wood meets ada AS. The "water line" is probably an inch under the substrate line in the front. > 6" under in back. Do you mean atmospheric moisture is too high and I need more holes in my cover?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I look at this thing too much and I think I'm imagining it going bad. The mold is receding on its own after a few subtle changes based on the tips above. Thanks guys!

However, I swear the hc is slowly losing its bright green luster. Is this normal during the first couple of weeks for the old growth to now be quite as green or should I be worried?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts