The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take two as far as this 20H goes, 1st go around didn't get much feedback... I'm making a bunch of changes to the tank, taring it down more or less; changing substrate, adding 3D background (already purchased :hihi:), plumbing an XP3 behind/under background, and setting up DIY yeast CO2.

Tank: 20H (24"x12"x16") (75L)
Filter: AC110, AC50 (running) swapping for XP3.
Heater: 50 watt @ 80*
Substrate: Fluval Flora Plant Stratum
Lighting: Current T5HO 24x2 watts
CO2: DIY

Live things:
(8) Rummies
(7) Neons
(5) Cories, 3 are the same kind (Schwartz?)
(5) Shrimp, 3 Ghost, 2 Anamimo
(1) Albino Bristlenose Pleco
(1) Assassin snail
(1) Betta

Plants: various crypts maybe? I'll need help with ID when I post pics.
Melon sword and a few others, I can't remember the names :icon_eek:

The 3D background is an Aquaterra, made of some kinda dense foam, laminated back, textured front. I'm assuming it's going to float so I'm going to need to use silicone to seal it to the back of the tank once I empty it all out.

I'm wondering though once I do this, what's to come of the water "trapped" behind the background? I plan to run the intake(s) under the substrate by cutting an unseen notch in the background bottom and the intakes from the top corners... The rest will be all siliconed off to keep it in place and to keep fish from getting behind it. Any ideas? Thanks.

I'll update with pics and the set up once I get all my supplies together and the temporary holding tank set up.

Thanks again,
Brian

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
If it were me, I would cut a few more holes in it. Cut up one of those plant pots sides to fit to keep the fish from going back there. Perhaps putting the intake behind it and having a hole where the tube ends would prevent the water trapped behind the wall from becoming stagnant.

Although if you put the background in the tank dry and seal it with silicone, you can prevent any water getting back there at all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it were me, I would cut a few more holes in it. Cut up one of those plant pots sides to fit to keep the fish from going back there. Perhaps putting the intake behind it and having a hole where the tube ends would prevent the water trapped behind the wall from becoming stagnant.

Although if you put the background in the tank dry and seal it with silicone, you can prevent any water getting back there at all.
Thank you I think I will be emptying it and using some silicone, I'm not too sure if I can get a good enough seal around the whole thing w/o it looking bad making it completely water tight... Maybe I'll just have to get a small power head or two and just send water to both sides?

·
Registered
920 Posts
you have to drill holes in the 3d background to allow water to flow behind the background where your intake for the filter would be

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Omg!! Pictures!! Woooaaahhh!!!

The current set up, no clue how to use my camera, perhaps I'll tweak with the settings etc, get some of those high quality pics for you guys ;)

I set up my 12"x12" DIY glass cube tank, it's like 7-8 gallons, it will hold my fish from the 20 for about 48 hrs or so. I put an extra heater and took the just clean AC50 and I'm letting it run for a day while I pick up a few last supplies.

This is my new Rena XP3 and 3D background. :eek:

I have a regulator with a solenoid, however it leaks somewhere... Going to see if my LFS could tinker with it and fix it..

and whatever this time stamp says is what my tank looked like.. The amazon swords are gone, 4 of them had collectively over 200 leaves and the brown plant that's in the front left is in the tank as of now but it's much shorter.

more to come..
Brian

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you have to drill holes in the 3d background to allow water to flow behind the background where your intake for the filter would be
I plan to plumb the intake under the substrate, I don't want to butcher the thing already lol... probably going to end up cutting the middle part 1.5"x1.5" and maybe (2) 1"x1" cuts on the top left and right for the spray bars.

Until I actually put this thing inside my tank I don't really know how much room behind the background there will actually be. Will any water behind it cause problems at some point?

Very nice looking, the old tank looked great.
Thank you Those plants would have been better for a bigger tank, same w/ the drift wood, might get some swords again, they're pretty easy..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i moved all the fish and plants over to the cube tank with the AC50. emptied the tank and plumbed the filter and installed the background, readded the stratum and now ive got cloudy water. pics tomrrow

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like the mound of plants in the middle, and those little bunchy ones in front. I also like the mixture of plant colors - what's the brown one in front left?

(as you can see I'm a noobie - don't know any names of plants or acronyms but I do appreciate the nice tank!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts