The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is where I am at so far :D

Its a 24"x12"xsomewhere around 18" (is that inches? I'm a metric person :D lol) tank which is kind of the wrong shape for a biotope like this but :p

Substrate: A mix of sand, daltons(A plant substrate we get in NZ(imagine it's mud...) and leaf litter as a plant layer then a layer of sand over top.
Filteration: Ehiem 2213
Lighting: 2x 15w T8 bulbs
Heater: 100w aquaone thing

Fauna/Flora:
Behind the rock barrier there will be H. polysperma, then Crypt Wendtii on/ surrounding the hill on the right and a misc crypt planted everywhere else (hopefully it is a smaller variety) I also plant to stick a few peices of wood in/ around that crypt with a bit of leaf litter

I will then be stocking it with around 11 [/STRIKE] zebra danios[/STRIKE]Harlequin rasboras as dither fish and 7 khuli loaches

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
If you prefer the leopard ones I thought I'd let you know that the leopard strain IS actually a wild-type mutation, I used to work in a Zebrafish lab and one of the main wildtype strains we used had the leopard spots instead of stripes ;)

Scape looks really cool, can't wait to see how it progresses too!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've always heard mixed reports, though most of what I've seen seem to think it's a "natural" mutation... it's just whether or not there are any truly "indigenious" populations that consistently show this morph.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
It's definitely a natural mutation, possibly no wild full schools of them though, but they are considered "wild type" in the scientific research community anyway. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats right, if theres lots of other fish out then it probably means that theres no other big fish that can eat you :D ;)

Plant wise I was hoping to get lots of the smaller crypt in the larger area of the tank, with a few bits of wood and leaf litter, then quite a few wendtii's on the 'hill'

hoping to get the rest of the plants/wood tomorrow

the danios I'll probably get whatever is available at the pet shop at the time, hopefully leopards then :bounce:

·
Fear the Swamp!
2,512 Posts
get plenty of plants in there too. I Love khulis and they will breed.
I love Khulis too. I've heard that their breeding is very sporadic and completely unpredictable. Is this untrue?

Have you had luck breeding them?
I began tearing down one of my tanks last night for a rescape and found a kuhlii fry. After doing some research, I found that it can happen in an aquarium, but is very rare. Here's my thread with pics.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there is a danio this is truly 'leopard'.

Danio TW02.
Went into the pet shop today and noticed that they had some of those, only 4 though :(, diddn't have any of the other leopards either so i'll be getting zebras

I'm thinking for the hardscape (wood/rocks) I'll try and create it to look as if its all settled in that pace,as if the original piece has caught on something and then the rest has eventually built up there over time

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
*Pics*

FTS

the left hand side (forgot to take one of the RH side though :icon_roll)

the two bits of wood (does it look like its floated/drifted/managed to get stuck there??)

and the eventual money shot (onces the crypts are grown in and a khuli loach is sitting there :biggrin:)

I was also thinking about sticking some anubias petite in amongst the wood (after seeing some of CL's shots of it) do you think it would look good (apart from the fact that its not really found anywhere.....apart from peoples fish tanks :p)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Awesome progress. I also have always wanted to start a Khuli loach tank. It's coming together great!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would of rather planted some more of the smaller crypts, but it was all they had:icon_sad:, the H.polysperma is already starting to grow though :D, one think I do need is a 6500k bulb, the plants may like the two pink ones but it doesn't really look that good
Nothing in there fish wise yet

I'm not really sure if this is a low tech tank though... I'm dosing flourish excel and PMDD plant wise it could be called low tech...:biggrin:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Update:

I was originally going to swap the 10 harlequins for some credit at the LPS then buy the danios but I wasn't allowed to :(

some of them (ole 1 eye isn't there lol)

there is now a honey gourami in there, (and a small fighter for now) he goes a chocolate colour when he's happy and I diddn't want to get rid of him

I can see a few new leaves on some of the crypts as well:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.