The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone! My name is Samantha, formerly known as nicksgirl7705, trying to get those accounts combined. When I posted in this group formerly it was circa 2006, I was around 15-17 years old and under my parent's budget. I'm now 30 with my own career and can finally have a tank the way I want it (aka $$, we all know how expensive this hobby is). Wanted to start a journal on my 20g tall, high tech since I did this with my old tanks and wanted to follow suit.

The light I use: Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights
Pressurized C02: FZONE 2.5L Aquarium CO2 Generator System Carbon Dioxide Reactor Kit with Regulator and Needle Valve for Aquarium Plants Tanks
Macro & Micro ferts dosed 3x weekly: NilocG Aquatics | Liquid NPK+M | 500ml Bottles | Highly Concentrated Aquarium Plant Fertilizer for Demanding Planted Tanks
Gravel: Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum, for Fish Tanks

8/11/2021 - Waiting for all supplies to arrive! The anticipation!!

8/12/2021 - planted tank soil and the beginning of my hardscape!

8/13/2021 - driftwood received, hardscape completed and water added (it was hell getting these suckers to sink)

8/19/2021 - First addition of plants. Hygro kompact & corymbosa, Ambulia, Rotala Indica, Ludwig Repens, and Dwarf Sag for a low-maintenance "carpet" - ordered from aquariumplants.com, very satisfied. No bugs, and only a couple pond snails I am trying to eradicate before they colonize the tank.

8/21/2021 - Starting to see some luscious, algae-free growth. I find myself staring at the tank.

8/23/2021 - Great progress with growth!

Today, 9/5/2021 - Added too many fish at once and likely really screwed myself over. Lost several cories and almost all the red blue-eyed rainbows. Trying to fix this, nearly Fishless now, but the plants look great. Minor issues with hair algae but I know this is because I am leaving the lights on too long to observe my tank, have cut light hours back and hair algae has stopped growing.

I am excited to keep this adventure going, but if I had one message to say to any aquarists - don't be impulsive, cycle your tank fishless. I made huge mistakes here not being able to wait.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hygro going a little crazy, but really enjoying the "death tank" today! I also adjusted the driftwood to be a little more dramatic/noticeable.

Plant Water Vertebrate Pet supply Rectangle

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rainbows are breeding, did a little change in the aquascape, I love my tank! I think 50% water changes per day make fish randy, lol.
Plant Rectangle Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Photos from my crappy old iPhone don't do it justice! The plant trimming didn't last long, lol.

I dropped the first light I had into the water and it appeared to stop working, bummer. I ordered a second one. While that one was in shipping, the first dried out and began working again. So now I have twice the lighting. I've upped my c02 and fert dosing to match. No algae at all. Plants are luscious and pearl all day. I am in love!

Water Plant Green Botany Pet supply

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am having a problem with bladder snails though, they really p*ss me off. I am barely feeding my fish to control their population and I net out like 20+ floating on the water every morning (I run a bubbler once the lights are out so my fish get some 02 after c02 all day and these stupid snails seem to get caught in it and get trapped at the surface). Not sure what to do now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about them heavily, but I've read and seen YouTube videos saying they eat shrimp :( I have five Bloody Mary shrimp in my tank right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts