The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone! My name is Samantha, formerly known as nicksgirl7705, trying to get those accounts combined. When I posted in this group formerly it was circa 2006, I was around 15-17 years old and under my parent's budget. I'm now 30 with my own career and can finally have a tank the way I want it (aka $$, we all know how expensive this hobby is). Wanted to start a journal on my 20g tall, high tech since I did this with my old tanks and wanted to follow suit.

The light I use: Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights
Pressurized C02: FZONE 2.5L Aquarium CO2 Generator System Carbon Dioxide Reactor Kit with Regulator and Needle Valve for Aquarium Plants Tanks
Macro & Micro ferts dosed 3x weekly: NilocG Aquatics | Liquid NPK+M | 500ml Bottles | Highly Concentrated Aquarium Plant Fertilizer for Demanding Planted Tanks
Gravel: Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum, for Fish Tanks

8/11/2021 - Waiting for all supplies to arrive! The anticipation!!

8/12/2021 - planted tank soil and the beginning of my hardscape!

8/13/2021 - driftwood received, hardscape completed and water added (it was hell getting these suckers to sink)

8/19/2021 - First addition of plants. Hygro kompact & corymbosa, Ambulia, Rotala Indica, Ludwig Repens, and Dwarf Sag for a low-maintenance "carpet" - ordered from aquariumplants.com, very satisfied. No bugs, and only a couple pond snails I am trying to eradicate before they colonize the tank.

8/21/2021 - Starting to see some luscious, algae-free growth. I find myself staring at the tank.

8/23/2021 - Great progress with growth!

Today, 9/5/2021 - Added too many fish at once and likely really screwed myself over. Lost several cories and almost all the red blue-eyed rainbows. Trying to fix this, nearly Fishless now, but the plants look great. Minor issues with hair algae but I know this is because I am leaving the lights on too long to observe my tank, have cut light hours back and hair algae has stopped growing.

I am excited to keep this adventure going, but if I had one message to say to any aquarists - don't be impulsive, cycle your tank fishless. I made huge mistakes here not being able to wait.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hygro going a little crazy, but really enjoying the "death tank" today! I also adjusted the driftwood to be a little more dramatic/noticeable.

Plant Water Vertebrate Pet supply Rectangle

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rainbows are breeding, did a little change in the aquascape, I love my tank! I think 50% water changes per day make fish randy, lol.
Plant Rectangle Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts