The Planted Tank Forum banner

20g stocking?

2485 Views 19 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  MaraLynn
I have just recetly setup a planted 20g high, and I added 3 Panda Cory's after 8 days (not sure if that was a good idea) I also have a Zebra snail in there.

I wanted to get:
4 male Guppies
1 albino (highfin) Bristlenose Pleco
10 Neon Tetras or 6 Black Neon Tetras
and 3-6 Panda Corys, I know this is kinda crowded but I wanted to have fish at all levels of the tank, and I need an algae eater and I heard Bristlenose Plecos are great for that.

I was wondering if it's better to stick with three Panda Corys or six, I know they like others of their species around but is three OK?

Thanks for your help in advance,

---------Mara
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I`m not gonna get a pleco, not enough space, Im gonna look into amano shrimp :) so the id be
10 neons
4 guppies
6 corys
4 amano
1 snail

i think that be okay

Ive never heard any trouble about guppies and neons.. but ill look into it

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the male guppies will declare war on each other and chase each other around to the ends of the tank... lol....

And if u want to stop that, you need to introduce a few females... well more females then males... and then the guppies will breed like rabbits and crush your bioload in less then 4 months.
hmm, I've heard keeping all males guppies was fine :/

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah so did i, until u goggle kissing male guppies and read how many people see that happening.

at first you think its playing, until you see some of your males with tails ripped :\

The kissing is a declaration of WAR... and no im not kidding.. :\
so whats a good fish for the top of the tank?

gouramis?

maybe ill get a pair of dwarf gouramis

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand that you don't want a pleco. But just in case someone else reads this and gets the wrong idea, Petsmart and other chain stores don't always have their facts straight. Here is a link to the L187B that they sell.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/_species.php?species_id=318

I have had a couple of them for almost 10 years (bought at Petsmart) in a 46 gal and a 75 gal and they stay very small. Mine did not even get 3.9", the max. size planetcatfish lists.
oh ok, well i think of that if i ever want to get a pleco for my tanks

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I'll say if you want to keep algae in check, go with shrimp, nerites, oto's and cory's to help maintain it all. PetSmart now saws that Rubber Lips get 5" fyi, I managed there for over a year. They are very misleading when it comes to any species of pleco and similar species. Pretty sure all they care about is money. I almost always refused to sell the typical pleco to anybody because they had no idea what they were getting themselves in to. Anyways, those are stories for another day.

I wouldn't suggest a pair of Gourami's as they will most likely fight off the others in such a small area for territory or fight with each other to claim position. Maybe just 1 gourami like a Honey Gourami.

Hatchetfish, Ghost catfish, rasboras, and danios typically always stay at the top.
what about a pair of gouramis?

and i cant get otos, well i dont want to

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.