The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently moved to a new house and I decided to sell my 40G breeder when we sold our old house. My wife finally caved and let me put up a new tank, although only a 20G! But something is something! Here's the plan so far.

Equipment
20g Tetra with glass top (need to buy the top)
Penn Plax Cascade 1200 (it was running on my 40B)
GLA PRO-1 CO2 Regulator (I'm still debating whether I'm going to run co2, but I have the system already)
Petco Black Aquarium Sand (root tabs!)
Finnex Planted+ 24/7 HLC

I'm still on the fence on the stocking list.

Flora
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Green Temple (Hygrophilia corymbosa)
Sagittaria subulata Dwarf
Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)

I have a small piece of drift wood in a 6 gallon nano with anubias. I'm thinking of bringing that over to the new tank.

Yesterday I blacked out the tank using Plastidip. Turned out decent!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Good job so far. That 20 Gallon Long looks bigger than it appears. You can make your own glass top with glass from home depot or lowes. I believe they will also cut it for you.

Co2.. Run it! You can still go low-med light and use CO2.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good job so far. That 20 Gallon Long looks bigger than it appears. You can make your own glass top with glass from home depot or lowes. I believe they will also cut it for you.

That's a good idea! I'm going to look into it. I might run the Co2 at a fairly slow rate just to get some decent growth. Might as well. Paid for the system and barely used it!

So I was not able to find my Penn Plax filter in storage. Might have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That's a good idea! I'm going to look into it. I might run the Co2 at a fairly slow rate just to get some decent growth. Might as well. Paid for the system and barely used it!

So I was not able to find my Penn Plax filter in storage. Might have to buy a new one.
Ah. Hate it when that happens. What will you look into getting now then?

·
Premium Member
Rank Amateur
1,371 Posts

agreed! that's a pretty deep looking footprint for a 20 gallon! is that a 20G L as in "Low" and deep? and not Long? :) I guess the low height really makes that look deeper than it is.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the new filter today. Went with the Fluval 207. Also received a plant shipment, but was not able to plant them today. I’m hoping to plant them tomorrow.

I’m not a huge fan of the Fluval hoses and plastic clips, but I think I can make them work. Below are some pics of the progress so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got around to setting up the tank. Here’s a pic!

I tested GH, KH and pH.

I forgot how GH and KH work, but it took 5 drops for each test. pH is off the charts! I need to get a high pH test kit.

Question: I threw in a bottle of Safe Start. Does that affect pH?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.