The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won’t be ready to get this tank stocked for a while, but here’s what I’m thinking:

6 panda(?) cories
15 ember tetras
Electric blue ram male/female
3 white cloud minnow
3 Otocinclus
1 mystery platy - not by plan, but I got a hitchhiker fry when I got another fish at my LFS

Maybe a few nerites too.

High tech, heavily planted tank, Eheim classic 2211 canister filter and a surface skimmer. Planning on weekly 50% water changes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As suggested, different temperature ranges for your desired fish make them incompatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’d stick to two main schools between the tetras and the pandas. It keeps things simple in terms of care and less visually cluttered as well. As a note, you wouldn’t be able to keep pandas or white clouds with German rams. Pandas and the white clouds require cooler temps (72 is good for pandas) and GBR like it quite warm.

I just set up a 22g long which is similar but a bit longer at 36”. I’ve stocked it with 15 pandas and 15 harlequins. It’s heavily planted and features a double island aqua scape to maximize plants but also open substrate for the sand loving cories. Thats right on the edge of overstocking but by having a tight schooling mid/top level school and a roaming bottom dwelling shoal I’ve made the most of the tank dimensions and the scape.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you have your heart set on the rams, I'd add 10 -12 cardinals & 6 Corydoras stebai, which can tolerate the high temperatures rams require.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have your heart set on the rams, I'd add 10 -12 cardinals & 6 Corydoras stebai, which can tolerate the high temperatures rams require.
I don't have my heart set on rams. I think they're cool, but it seems like there could be another option for a centerpiece-type fish that would tolerate 78-79 degrees? I think I'd rather stay with my other selections that build around a ram. Maybe a gourami?

·
Registered
92 Posts
So, if I take out the White Cloud Minnows it's all good?
No. The minimum temp for any German ram is well above the max for a panda cory.

Swap the panda for Sterbai, get rid of the White Clouds entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts
m. Maybe a gourami?
Dwarf gouramis usually end up dying horribly from iridovirus, so I'd recommend a trio of honey gouramis They're happiest and show their best colors in tanks with a covering of floating plants.

An alternative ram would be the Bolivian, which isn't as sexy as German rams but thrives in more reasonable temperatures.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dwarf gouramis usually end up dying horribly from iridovirus, so I'd recommend a trio of honey gouramis They're happiest and show their best colors in tanks with a covering of floating plants.

An alternative ram would be the Bolivian, which isn't as sexy as German rams but thrives in more reasonable temperatures.
Good to know. I’ve actually decided to just stick with bigger schools of ember tetras and cories and forgo the “centerpiece.” Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 20 long with Sparking Gouramis and a few Mystery and Nerite snails. I had some of the gourami in a mixed community tank and they hid all the time. They're very shy with other fish. I moved them to their own tank and increased their numbers and now they're always out exploring the tank. They're so pretty and quirky and a lot of fun to watch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts