Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Taiwan moss
Java moss
Cryptocoryne wendtii "green"
Cryptocoryne wendtii "tropica"
Cryptocoryne retrospiralis
Cryptocoryne undulata

Plants are still small and new. There was limnophila aromatica but it didn't survive shipping, and melted to oblivion. I doubt it'll come back miraculously from the 3 random leftover leaves lol

I am happy to hear any suggestions or input, but any plant suggestions must be from Asia and must not require C02.

The tank has been set up for a long while before this, but scape and plants were different... this is my official start for this one now.

For those interested, this is the sump filter
Houses the heater and aeration. Powered by an internal filter pump hidden in the back corner of the tank.

Yes my lid is busted, stepped on it once when I was first setting the tank up, oops lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow- Beautiful!
I really love the home-made sump too! What do you have in it?
Right now a handful of ceramic media and sponges from the old sponge filter that was used before, to hold the cycle. The basket holds filter floss to polish the water. I also run the airstone in it for extra oxygenation without it being an eyesore in the tank.

I plan on adding more ceramic media as well, but have to pick more up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oooh, this tank is terrific! I really love the rock work. That Hygrophila pinnatifida is going to look great as it grows.

What kind of sand are you using for your substrate? It's great.
Quikrete play sand, nothing special, but has some tiny pebbles mixed in. It's cheap and works safely lol

Under all the rock work there's a tunnel made from extra canister filter tubing, put into a U shape and buried under the sand and rocks, openings hidden. One opening is under the red flattish rock below the Taiwan lily

That's where all the loaches hide lol

·
Super Moderator
17,159 Posts
Quikrete play sand, nothing special, but has some tiny pebbles mixed in. It's cheap and works safely lol

Under all the rock work there's a tunnel made from extra canister filter tubing, put into a U shape and buried under the sand and rocks, openings hidden. One opening is under the red flattish rock below the Taiwan lily

That's where all the loaches hide lol
That's what I thought it was. I covet it! There's another tank here on the forum (a 12gal long) that uses the same stuff. Now that I've seen yours, as well, I guess it's time for me to go buy a bunch of it again...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nice looking set up. I really like the sump! I've thought of doing something like it before, now I know it works :)

Reactions: NoodleAquatics

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice looking set up. I really like the sump! I've thought of doing something like it before, now I know it works :)
I run 3 of my tanks on these filters and honestly I love them. A nice perk is you can add plants to them and put a light over it for nitrate control for tanks like cichlid tanks and goldfish tanks where a planted tank isn't doable for them.

And theyre easy to clean, simply use a gravel vacuum on the media bed lol

Just need:
2 sets of tubing (I use siphon hose, but pvc pipe can work too)
Aquarium safe silicone
A plastic planter pot, I use dollarstore ones.
An internal filter or pump to power them

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really lovely tank, and a very original sump! Love the pebbles too.

Not to nitpick at all, but is that gourami not a trichogaster fasciata (Banded gourami)? Afaik honey and dwarf gouramis can't hybridise.
It's been something debated, but hes small like a honey, and gets the black throat that male honeys get when he's in a breeding mood. Patterning of a male dwarf gourami, but his shape is wrong, too long in the body. Golden Green base colour as well.

Some close up photos of him for you.

And this last one shows the black throat he gets

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I removed the hornwort now because I was able to propagate the pogostemon octopus, so its growing very well.

I think I want to balance it out a little and move a clump of limnophila sessiliflora to the left side as well, to balance it out as it stands out on the right side a lot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Propagated more plants, pushed back the limnophila sessiliflora. Crazy how fast that plant grows, have to trim it every week!

Also finally have a video update for this tank as well.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you let the pogostsemon grow above the water line it will produce a wonderful purple flower.... So the tops will take on emersed form while the bottom stay in submersed form...

View attachment 1032204

Removed the crypts (minus a runner) as they were growing too tall for this tank. Trimmed and propagated more of the pogostemon octopus.

The lily is taking over.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.