The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
20 G Lighting Question

Hello rj...

Your 20 G tank isn't very tall, so unless you plan on growing light demanding plants, you can get by with fairly basic lighting. All you need is a bulb in the 6500 K range and a one close to 1 watt per gallon. The reason is, the light doesn't have very far to travel to reach the bottom of your tank. A T8 should be sufficient to grow most plants on the market.

You can start with some Pennywort, Ludwigia, Rotala and Cryptocoryne. Floating Water sprite is also good. There are many more plants that do well in low to moderate light.

B

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the advises.

My decision has been based on my actual coralife lighting fixture getting defected and often burning new bulbs. I have used Light - Coralife Colormax F14-T5 BP and the 6700K F14-T5 BP for more than 3 years in this set up with no much problems. But after 3 years I believe that would be reasonable to replace the whole system.

So, I am looking for a cheap option with similar quality.

Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks all for the advises.

My decision has been based on my actual coralife lighting fixture getting defected and often burning new bulbs. I have used Light - Coralife Colormax F14-T5 BP and the 6700K F14-T5 BP for more than 3 years in this set up with no much problems. But after 3 years I believe that would be reasonable to replace the whole system.

So, I am looking for a cheap option with similar quality.

Thanks
Is this the Coralife Freshwater Aqualight 24" T5NO fixture with ColorMax and 6,700k bulbs? If so, I was considering this EXACT fixture for my new 20g high (same dimensions as your 20g), especially since I don't want super fast growth and it's only approx $40 online.

You don't like it????????? That is the first I've heard ...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this the Coralife Freshwater Aqualight 24" T5NO fixture with ColorMax and 6,700k bulbs? If so, I was considering this EXACT fixture for my new 20g high (same dimensions as your 20g), especially since I don't want super fast growth and it's only approx $40 online.

You don't like it????????? That is the first I've heard ...
Wait!

I really link this Coralife fixture, but I am running into problems with it after 3 years of usage.

The equipment is really good and solid. The first pair of bulbs died after incredible 2.5 years and the second pair just burned.

I could easily get a new pair of bulbs, but I am considering a new fixture as I just got some glosso and would like to see it growing even faster with the CO2 that I have running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts