The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got into this hobby a year ago I thought "the start up cost is a lot but then I'll just need to buy fish food and water conditioner, right?" Oh how wrong I was! Upgrading and expansions are addictive.

I currently have a 5g Fluval spec that's planted and has a Betta and a couple of snails. After two months my jungle is doing pretty good and now I have my eye on converting my 20g to a planted tank... And making my own 3D background (but that's a whole other story).

My tank is a 20g top fin with the stock hood and lights. So far a Java fern is surviving and a crypt has come in slowly back from wilt after five months so I figure I need better lighting. My plan is to cut my own acrylic hood to customize the space for heater cord, two filters and automatic feeder (it's left at work during weekends and holidays). So I need a light that will go with it.

I'm looking at around the 100$ mark and have looked into the finnex stingray or planted +. What is the difference between the two? Is the planted + worth the extra money? I'm in Canada so I need to buy from eBay or Amazon and get it shipped.

Tl;dr which is better for a 20g planted, finnex stingray or planted+?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tank dimensions are 12.5 in deep x 24.1 in wide x 19.1 in high so a 36" would be way too long :(
Do you know of any good lights that come in 24" lengths?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah, that's a 20 tall. He was thinking 20 long which is longer and shallower. I have Stingrays on both of my 20 talls which you can check out under my profile. A Planted + would give you medium to high light necessitating Excel or pressurized CO2 while giving you a much wider variety of plant selections, whereas a Stingray will give you low light and limit your selection of plants. What kind of tank are you setting up? High tech, low tech, in between?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.