The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any ideas for a lid/cover for my 20G Long tank.

right now there is no cover on it.

ive thought about using a mesh wire that i can set my lighting on top of...

anyone with pictures? thanks in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_tank_covers.php

That sums it up nicely.. I searched everywhere to find something, and that was about the only thing I ever found. Alternatively, you could get a piece of 1/4" glass cut to fit in the lip. At your local glass cutter, it'd probably be under $10. Get it cut to be like 2" or 3" narrower than the tank, and then put a strip of plexiglass, or that same Styrene lighting cover, and cover the 2", so that you can get into the tank to feed them.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I learned something "interesting" about my ancient 20L (20 years old and still in use. hah!) Somewhere along the line, either the dimensions changed or the brand mine is had a slightly shorter inner rim. New hoods and versa tops don't fit. They're both around oh, 1/16" too long. Great. The old hood was damaged so I kept the strip and tossed the hood. I do not know what brand mine was. When the all-glass sized one didn't fit, I had a perfecto sized one ordered. Seemed to be the same size as the all-glass so maybe the tank was an o'dell. Whatever it was, there's a full hood precariously perched on top. Fortunately, I got one of those oversized whisper internal filter stump things when petsmart clearanced them out so it's holding the hood up too.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
anyone have any ideas for a lid/cover for my 20G Long tank.

right now there is no cover on it.

ive thought about using a mesh wire that i can set my lighting on top of...

anyone with pictures? thanks in advance
Go to Lowes, get a piece of this (around $1.50):

Cut it to fit inside the rim:

Get them to cut you 2 pieces of glass. I just did five 20 gallon tanks but the glass is going front to back on them, you might want side to side. Anyway, I got two pieces of glass 11 1/2" x 15" cut for around $6.50.

Side to side would look like this:

Front to back will look like this:

I have 11 tanks with these, they work great.......DC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts