The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone!!

I've been out of the hobby for about 4 years. I previously had a 55g South American-themed tank. When we were putting stuff in the attic, after the holidays, my wife found an older 20g tank and stand. So, she said it'd be fun for the kids if we put it up. Suuuure. the kids will take care of the tank. mhm. Whatever, it's playtime!! 😁

I've got a Fluval 107 filter and a Finnex planted + 24/7 HCL light. With the other tank, I had a Victor DS regulator, Burkert solenoid, and a Hoke metering valve. I made a Rex Griggs reactor and got CO2 running today. The tank was started on January 24th, 2021, and is cycled.

I currently have two glofish that my children begged for. Eventually, the Bandit Corys that I ordered from my LFS will come in. I'll also get some coral red pencilfish and then some Blue German Rams. Alright Alright so maybe I like my South American tanks 🤷‍♂️. I have some Cabomba right now, it was the only stem the LFS had. I'm talking with another member here to get a substantial list of plants. With my light and CO2 combo, they shouldn't be a problem. I believe I'll also go with the EI dosing method with dry fertilizers that I've still got. Hopefully, they aren't expired...?

My goal with this journal is to keep a written reminder for myself as to lighting levels, tank/filter cleanings, how plants have grown, and general things that I won't remember by next week.

Here goes nothing!!

CO2: 20psi, 1.5bps through the water. It's not been running long enough to change the drop checker(literally set it up 45 minutes ago)

Light: It's been off for about 3 or 4 days due to algae break out on driftwood. I've not played with finnex 24/7 previous to this experience. Cool light but it takes some getting used to. I'll try to detail out my settings, because, well I won't remember them ha. 12 AM: blue level 1, 3 AM: everything off, 6 am(blue light to come on at 3:01 if I understand) blue at level 2, 6 AM: blue level 3, 9 AM: blue level 3, 12 PM: blue level 3 red level 3 white level 1. 3 PM: white 5, RGB each at 3, 6 PM: white 7, reg and green at 5, blue at 3, 9 PM: white 2, red and blue at 5, green at 2. Not sure how I'll like these settings, especially in the evening, but I'll adjust it and make notes. I've got it to offset, so right now at 5 pm, it's set at 6 pm.

I think that's all for right now. Maybe once I get some other plants that look good and don't shed like a Labrador, I'll take a full tank shot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also recently got back into it. I'm sure you've also noticed the advancement of equipment and other aspects of the hobby compared to a few years ago. I ended up spending a lot of time "catching up". Welcome back and good luck with the new tank!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My goal for this build is a fully sterile aquarium. I've been pretty loose with my tanks in the past and I've always been that "Ich is everywhere, why bother trying" guy and this time I want to do it right. I'll be following the Humblefish/Elliot Lim quarantine method. I realize it's a lot of work, but I'm getting my garage all set up with the right stuff to make my life a little easier.
I've ordered some replacement filters/DI resin/float valve/source water adapters/etc for the RODI system I'm making. They should be here shortly and I'll be able to fill this big boy water mixing station that I bought from

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also recently got back into it. I'm sure you've also noticed the advancement of equipment and other aspects of the hobby compared to a few years ago. I ended up spending a lot of time "catching up". Welcome back and good luck with the new tank!
Welcome back yourself! There's always cutting edge in any Hobby. I'm not quite there but I am dipping into areas I didn't previously have experience in, such as CO2. The good news is, I'm not the guinea pig in this field.

My goal for this build is a fully sterile aquarium. I've been pretty loose with my tanks in the past and I've always been that "Ich is everywhere, why bother trying" guy and this time I want to do it right. I'll be following the Humblefish/Elliot Lim quarantine method. I realize it's a lot of work, but I'm getting my garage all set up with the right stuff to make my life a little easier.
I've ordered some replacement filters/DI resin/float valve/source water adapters/etc for the RODI system I'm making. They should be here shortly and I'll be able to fill this big boy water mixing station that I bought from
Um. Do what now? 🧐

In my OP I forgot to mention my substrate. I'm using safe t sorb. I like the color, it looks great. I dont like how light(weight) it is though! I'm having a hard time keeping stems down in it. Obviously they're new stems, no established roots, but compared to the black diamond blasting sand I had in a previous tank this stuff is light.

In new news, I got a plant shipment from a forum member this past Wednesday.
Alternanthera Reineckii
Ambulia
Anubias
Guppy Grass
Helanthium bolivianum ‘angustifolia’
Java Moss
Limnophila Aromatica
Lobelia Cardinalis
Ludwigia Super Red
Microsword
Myriophyllum
Montecarlo
Pearlweed
Rotala Gia Lai
Rotala Rotundifolia
Star Grass

I'm familiar with a few of these but there are several that I've never had. Everything seems to be doing well. It's been almost a week that they've been planted and everything has recovered well and put of a new leaf or three. The L. Red new growth is turning green. Maybe just recovering? Not sure what to do with the Java moss. Kind of just tied it to the wood. I also couldn't get the pearlweed to sit down. So I have Ariel helping me. I suppose my daughter knew Ariel would be needed in this tank. 🤷‍♂️

Checked water parameters before a water change, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate and ph was 6 or lower. I also had to check if my drop checker was working. When I wake up the drop checker is still showing green. Doesnt change color much over night at all. I guessed the reagent needed to be changed but I took out the drop checker and let it sit for about 45 mint and it went blue. I guess I don't have a lot of surface agitation to release co2 over night. Co2 shuts off an hour before lights start to dim.

Still waiting on my LFS for Cory's and some coral red pencilfish.

Here's what yall are after, thanks for listening to my ramblings!
20210323_175812.jpg

20210323_175856.jpg
20210323_175849.jpg
20210323_175904.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts